Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
saint056  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 11, 2012 6:08:01 AM(UTC)
saint056

Groups: Registered

I had a service guy come out and install a new Compressor and dryer because my compressor went bad. It is a ZR21K5PFV830 cpmpressor. But I noticed he put the new dryer in the place that the diagram listed as a "muffler". Is this going to cause any issues? He said he put it there to catch any dirty oil comming from the high pressure side out of the compressor.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

saint056  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 12, 2012 1:07:43 AM(UTC)
saint056

So, there is no one out there that knows about AC?
kurt h  
#3 Posted : Saturday, July 14, 2012 5:37:53 PM(UTC)
kurt h

a filter drier generally is installed in the liquid line and/or suction line.in my 17 yrs of hvac work ive never seen one in the discharge line.
double bogey  
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 19, 2012 9:40:13 PM(UTC)
double bogey

If it is installed in the uot gas line the heat will destroy the drier causing the dessicant to come apart and result in restrictions.You need to have it removed and a new one installed in the liquid line as soon as possible.
slugranch  
#5 Posted : Sunday, December 23, 2012 4:05:05 AM(UTC)
slugranch

Originally Posted by: double bogey Go to Quoted Post
If it is installed in the uot gas line the heat will destroy the drier causing the dessicant to come apart and result in restrictions.You need to have it removed and a new one installed in the liquid line as soon as possible.

I've seen driers installed this way a few times in my career. Definately needs to be replaced, and the muffler re-installed. Have to admit that when I was a newbie, I did the same thing, but my boss caught it and gave me a long lecture. Driers always go in the liquid line. Sometimes they're not easy to replace, because of location.
kurt h  
#6 Posted : Sunday, December 23, 2012 12:49:25 PM(UTC)
kurt h

there are many heat pump manufacturers that are using a sporlan filter drier designed for 410a and for use in the discharge line.i questioned it and called sporlan. they informed me that this is correct. (but only for certain systems designed for it)
slugranch  
#7 Posted : Sunday, December 23, 2012 2:54:04 PM(UTC)
slugranch

First time I've ever been wrong! LOL Some of this new 410A stuff amazes me. Seems like I had read about them, but have never seen one.
kurt h  
#8 Posted : Sunday, December 23, 2012 5:01:04 PM(UTC)
kurt h

hey slugranch.i didnt mean you were wrong.in fact in this case i think you are 100 percent right. I just recently found out about this change in 410a units using discharge filters.(i still dont think its a good idea.after swapping out a comp. And blowing thru old filter.and with 410 head press. being so hi anyways) i was just letting techs like yourself know that its out there. But im happy to see you have such a good sence of humor.
slugranch  
#9 Posted : Monday, December 24, 2012 4:51:09 AM(UTC)
slugranch

Originally Posted by: kurt h Go to Quoted Post
hey slugranch.i didnt mean you were wrong.in fact in this case i think you are 100 percent right. I just recently found out about this change in 410a units using discharge filters.(i still dont think its a good idea.after swapping out a comp. And blowing thru old filter.and with 410 head press. being so hi anyways) i was just letting techs like yourself know that its out there. But im happy to see you have such a good sence of humor.

After doing this for the past 45 years, I've seen a lot. Would have kept up with some of this new stuff, but once you turn out to pasture, it's hard to keep up with this stuff and still remember to take your pills.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply