Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Zarack123  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 9, 2009 6:32:42 PM(UTC)
Zarack123

Groups: Registered

Hi -

My 45+ year old FUJI table-top fan stopped working about 2 weeks ago.

Best I can track down cause is to possible defective capacitor located in fan base. The capacitor is approx 2 & 1/2" Long, Oval shaped, with two connection terminal lugs protruding from base.

This fan is a pretty important item in my life. I got it in South Vietnam in 1965 while in the military in the War. My job took me all over SVN; mostly by helicopter, and I took my fan with me everytime I thought there would be a chance to use it.

I have kept the fan in near perfect condition over the years and treat it as a family "heirloom". It has worked; as I said, until 2 weeks ago, in an outstanding manner. The fan has a 3 speed "keyboard panel" on the base to regulate speed. It also has a "pull out" knob on top of the motor housing to select/regulate the oscillation range desired.

The markings on the capacitor are as follows:

"FUJI A.C. ELEC FAN,TYPE FTC4015, SIZE 40cm, AC Volt 110, Cycle 50/60
JSC 9601 S/N 8 9336 FUJI ELEC CO LTD
FUJI DENKI M.P. CONDENSER W.V. 280V A/C CAP 2.5uF SANYO"

If anyone can help me or steer me to someone/place that can, I would be very thankful. I livei in Williamsbur, VA, and the fan weights a ton, so I don't think I can send it off to a repair shop.

Thanks again to all for any info or assist you can provide to me.
Sincerely,
Vic
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Admin / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Friday, September 11, 2009 10:54:31 AM(UTC)
Admin / APP Team

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Vic,

I think I found a suitable replacement capacitor for your fan. Just need to double check something. Could you post all the data off the motor tag here?

Thanks.
Zarack123  
#3 Posted : Sunday, September 13, 2009 8:31:25 PM(UTC)
Zarack123

Hi ~ many thanks for the quick reply. I just got home after being out of town for about 3 days so I apologize for the delay in replying.

Here are the specs as copied directly from the original "condenser":

QUOTE:

FUJI A.C. ELEC FAN
TYPE FTC 4015
SIZE 40CM
A.C. VOLT 110 CYCLE 50/60
JSC 9601
FUJI ELEC CO LTD

FUJI DENKI
M.P. CONDENSER
W.V. 280v A.C.
CAP 2.5uf ~ R
SANYO

UNQUOTE.

I'm not sure about that last line AFTER the word "CAP 2.5 ... .." It appears to read uf followed by a space and then a captial "R".

Thanks again,
Regards,
Vic
Zarack123  
#4 Posted : Sunday, September 13, 2009 8:34:54 PM(UTC)
Zarack123

Shoot, I'm sorry. I just read your answer more closely, you asked for the data off the motor tag and I re-sent you the data off the condenser instead.

I'll get the data from the motor tomorrow and send it along.

Gotta excuse me, been driving all day and it's 12:30am now, guess I'm a bit tired.
glen65  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 15, 2009 7:31:07 AM(UTC)
glen65

Groups: Senior Expert

Originally Posted by: Zarack123 Go to Quoted Post
Hi -

My 45+ year old FUJI table-top fan stopped working about 2 weeks ago.

Best I can track down cause is to possible defective capacitor located in fan base. The capacitor is approx 2 & 1/2" Long, Oval shaped, with two connection terminal lugs protruding from base.

This fan is a pretty important item in my life. I got it in South Vietnam in 1965 while in the military in the War. My job took me all over SVN; mostly by helicopter, and I took my fan with me everytime I thought there would be a chance to use it.

I have kept the fan in near perfect condition over the years and treat it as a family "heirloom". It has worked; as I said, until 2 weeks ago, in an outstanding manner. The fan has a 3 speed "keyboard panel" on the base to regulate speed. It also has a "pull out" knob on top of the motor housing to select/regulate the oscillation range desired.

The markings on the capacitor are as follows:

"FUJI A.C. ELEC FAN,TYPE FTC4015, SIZE 40cm, AC Volt 110, Cycle 50/60
JSC 9601 S/N 8 9336 FUJI ELEC CO LTD
FUJI DENKI M.P. CONDENSER W.V. 280V A/C CAP 2.5uF SANYO"

If anyone can help me or steer me to someone/place that can, I would be very thankful. I livei in Williamsbur, VA, and the fan weights a ton, so I don't think I can send it off to a repair shop.

Thanks again to all for any info or assist you can provide to me.
Sincerely,
Vic

Based on your description this looks like what you need.
However we would need more specifics on the dimensions to be certain.
Keep in mind that you can use one with a higher voltage rating.
GE (General Electric) Capacitors - 27L6093 - Allied Electronics

UserPostedImage
Zarack123  
#6 Posted : Thursday, September 17, 2009 9:32:49 PM(UTC)
Zarack123

Hello:

Thanks very much for your response. I've been out of town for several days and just saw the post a minute ago.

Looks like I'll just have to take it to a local shop. I actually could not find one around this neck of the woods ~ everyone seems to only work on big
issues.

Someone told me today that Ace Hardware does work on almost any type of small appliance. Don't really have a lot of confidence in Ace HW, but who knows?

I disassembled the fan completely (...I've done that several times over the past 40 odd years). Cleaned it all up, re-oiled the felts in the motor and replaced the grease (used Lithium Grease this time) in all the grease fittings.

I found the armature heavily coated with a very dark film, possibly carbon but looked more like varnish or shellac. The motor field windings also had the same coating, thought that might be the cause, grease or whatever between the armature segments.

Got it all back together and gave it the fire test, nothing. Someone told me to check the brushes in the motor, I couldn't find any brushes. I think this fan was built really well and looks, to me, like it was designed to run without brushes, just A.C. to the stator or something. Is that possible?

Guess I just showed you how little I know about electricity and motor structures.

Again thanks for the reply. I'll post again if the Ace guys/gals can fix the fan. If not I guess I'll have a static display for the old trophy case.

Best Regards,
Vic
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply