Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
loowens  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 18, 2009 5:58:58 AM(UTC)
loowens

Groups: Registered

Hello, I am new to the forum and have been researching a problem on internet sites for a few days and have multiple answers. I am trying to narrow down some of the items hopefully by providing as much info as I can.

The problem I am having is my AC unit will only cool after it's been off (not cycled) for about 10 hours or so. If I switch the thermostat to cool it will cool as expected for the first cycle, but when it shuts off because it reached the set temp it will no longer cool after that until I leave it off as mentioned above. The unit will cycle back on and the compressor seems to start without any odd noises, but the refrigerant lines stay pretty close to air temp (the low pressure line gets slightly cool, but not cold as it normally would the high pressure line is cool to the touch). I have had a tech out to look at it, but all he wanted to do was to clean the evaporator coil and condenser coils, I was fine with that, but then he wanted to cut out my aquecoil heating coil and clean it even though you could see through it, because he said it was restricting air flow (he was measuring airflow at a vent that I later found out was blocked due to a cable being pulled tight over it in the attic. I felt that this person was only trying to build up hours to bill me for so I told him I wouldn't pay for his time to remove the aquecoil if it didn't fix the problem. He howed up at my house, hooked up his guages to the Condenser and said the pressur is equal on both sides you need a new compressor and someone from the office will call you with a quote.

I have a new guy coming out today who I told all this too and he thinks it's just a stuck valve and that the compressor is fine.

Anyone here have any ideas?

The unit is a Carrier model# 38ckc042340, serial# 3502e03162, prod#38ckc042---341--
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

MJ DuctPro  
#2 Posted : Sunday, August 23, 2009 10:43:40 AM(UTC)
MJ DuctPro

The tech you had out may have made a mistake in his diagnosis of the problem- that can happen- but in general it sounds like he was using some well founded principles of AC maintenance to troubleshoot it. HVAC systems must be properly sized and maintained regularly to realize desired efficiency results and proper performance. For example, according to US Dept of Energy website up to 30% energy savings can result from compressor energy alone if coils are cleaned vs. not. In addition this may help with dust control, promote equipment longevity, and improved indoor air quality and comfort. Most manufacturers and US Dept of Energy suggest that you inspect and clean coils and other components as much as annually. To learn more you can visit:

www.nadca.com
www.safetyking.com
www.ductpro.com
www.ductcleanersnetwork.org
www.energy.gov

MJ Palazzolo
President
Safety King Inc
An Energy Star Service Partner
loowens  
#3 Posted : Sunday, August 23, 2009 12:23:04 PM(UTC)
loowens

I had another tech come out and we found that there was a restriction in the Dryer and that the condenser coils were clogged. The high side pressure was 325lbs when he started troubleshooting. After a good cleaning the pressure dropped to about 225 and the system ran good for about 3 days. Now I have to leave it off for about 4-6 hours once it stops cooling and then it will work fine again. The tech said he believes the compressor is damaged due to running at such high pressure for so long.

In any case I am getting a whole new system tomorrow hopefully.
gibs  
#4 Posted : Sunday, August 23, 2009 7:15:47 PM(UTC)
gibs

Originally Posted by: loowens Go to Quoted Post
I had another tech come out and we found that there was a restriction in the Dryer and that the condenser coils were clogged. The high side pressure was 325lbs when he started troubleshooting. After a good cleaning the pressure dropped to about 225 and the system ran good for about 3 days. Now I have to leave it off for about 4-6 hours once it stops cooling and then it will work fine again. The tech said he believes the compressor is damaged due to running at such high pressure for so long.

In any case I am getting a whole new system tomorrow hopefully.

couple of questions. is this a r12 system or a 410a because the head pressure at 325 would be right for a 410 system. also did the liquid line dryer get replaced, and then the system put in a vaccuum and the charged.and did he do a ohm test on your compressor to detrime that the comp. is bad.and now for a really stupid question,but have you changed your air filter? you would be suprised how many times i have come upon that problem.
loowens  
#5 Posted : Monday, August 24, 2009 1:59:50 AM(UTC)
loowens

It's an R22 system, he did replace the liquid line dryer (the old one was icing up on the exit end). He did put the system under vacuum and then charge it as well. He did not do an Ohm test on the compressor. The compressor kicks on and pulls 14 amps, but it does not pressurize the line.

Yes I have replaced the air filter, usually do that every month or so.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply