Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
runesgirl  
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 4, 2012 8:45:07 AM(UTC)
runesgirl

Groups: Registered

We have a Williams Top Vent Gas-fired wall furnace that won't run properly. I am sure the thermostat is out of whack, but that really isn't the problem. Even if we turn the thermostat all the way up the heater will fire up and shut off irregularly. If you open and close the door at the bottom it will usually start up again. But, if we set it around 65 or so overnight, we often wake up freezing because it hasn't turned on at all. We are thinking possibly the thermocouple is not adjusted properly. Any ideas?
Thanks!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

xpuser357  
#2 Posted : Sunday, March 4, 2012 9:51:39 AM(UTC)
xpuser357

Originally Posted by: runesgirl Go to Quoted Post
We have a Williams Top Vent Gas-fired wall furnace that won't run properly. I am sure the thermostat is out of whack, but that really isn't the problem. Even if we turn the thermostat all the way up the heater will fire up and shut off irregularly. If you open and close the door at the bottom it will usually start up again. But, if we set it around 65 or so overnight, we often wake up freezing because it hasn't turned on at all. We are thinking possibly the thermocouple is not adjusted properly. Any ideas?
Thanks!

It is very hard to guess from my chair to what your problem is. Does your pilot go out and you have to relight it? Is your heater clean from dust and carpet residue, opening a door is likely giving air for combustion. Without knowing gas pressures and temp rise were kinda in the dark also vent conditions. Are we open to outside atmosphere?:)
runesgirl  
#3 Posted : Sunday, March 4, 2012 1:48:11 PM(UTC)
runesgirl

The pilot stays lit. I rent thee house from y mom and everything was put in new about two years ago. It has done it from the very start, so we are thinking it is just something is not adjusted quite right. Once the thermostat is on, it just goes on and off at will sometimes. Then, like I said at night, sometimes it just won't fire back up at all. I think when we open and close the door on the bottom if just jiggles something that makes it start again, because sometimes you can just make like Fonzie and just bang on the bottom and it will fire up.
xpuser357  
#4 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2012 2:30:12 AM(UTC)
xpuser357

From what I read, you had a warranty issue awhile back.:) What ever reason it was not caught on start up. I work in the HVAC/R trade and the problem you have can be fixed by a service technician in your area. You can eliminate
thermo couple because your pilot stay`s lit, you could have a loose connection on a component, it may be inside covering you could not see. electric testing meter is what you need to test with and sequence of operation to know what happens to find problem.
runesgirl  
#5 Posted : Saturday, March 10, 2012 9:30:44 AM(UTC)
runesgirl

Thanks! Once you all got us looking for an electronic connection we found it! Seems to be working fine now!
dlopez1996  
#6 Posted : Sunday, January 4, 2015 7:42:27 AM(UTC)
dlopez1996

I have a wall heater that heats up for a few minutes and then it shuts off , including the pilot,, any ideas,,??? on what can be the problem,??
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply