Discuss

Wall Heater Keeps Turning Off

in

Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC)

. "

We have a Williams Top Vent Gas-fired wall furnace that won't run properly. I am sure the thermostat is out

..."

Register | FAQ's | New Posts | Today's Posts | Extras
Appliance Repair Forum > Appliance Repair Help > Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC) » Wall Heater Keeps Turning Off

Post New Thread  Reply By reading any content on this site you agree to AppliancePartsPros.com, Inc. disclaimer and Terms of Use.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2012, 09:45 AM

runesgirl is on a distinguished road
Default Wall Heater Keeps Turning Off
Brand: -other-   Age: 1 - 5 years   

Appliance Parts from AppliancePartPros.com

We have a Williams Top Vent Gas-fired wall furnace that won't run properly. I am sure the thermostat is out of whack, but that really isn't the problem. Even if we turn the thermostat all the way up the heater will fire up and shut off irregularly. If you open and close the door at the bottom it will usually start up again. But, if we set it around 65 or so overnight, we often wake up freezing because it hasn't turned on at all. We are thinking possibly the thermocouple is not adjusted properly. Any ideas?
Thanks!

See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Old 03-04-2012, 10:51 AM

xpuser357 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by runesgirl View Post
We have a Williams Top Vent Gas-fired wall furnace that won't run properly. I am sure the thermostat is out of whack, but that really isn't the problem. Even if we turn the thermostat all the way up the heater will fire up and shut off irregularly. If you open and close the door at the bottom it will usually start up again. But, if we set it around 65 or so overnight, we often wake up freezing because it hasn't turned on at all. We are thinking possibly the thermocouple is not adjusted properly. Any ideas?
Thanks!
It is very hard to guess from my chair to what your problem is. Does your pilot go out and you have to relight it? Is your heater clean from dust and carpet residue, opening a door is likely giving air for combustion. Without knowing gas pressures and temp rise were kinda in the dark also vent conditions. Are we open to outside atmosphere?
Old 03-04-2012, 02:48 PM

The pilot stays lit. I rent thee house from y mom and everything was put in new about two years ago. It has done it from the very start, so we are thinking it is just something is not adjusted quite right. Once the thermostat is on, it just goes on and off at will sometimes. Then, like I said at night, sometimes it just won't fire back up at all. I think when we open and close the door on the bottom if just jiggles something that makes it start again, because sometimes you can just make like Fonzie and just bang on the bottom and it will fire up.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:30 AM

xpuser357 is on a distinguished road

From what I read, you had a warranty issue awhile back. What ever reason it was not caught on start up. I work in the HVAC/R trade and the problem you have can be fixed by a service technician in your area. You can eliminate
thermo couple because your pilot stay`s lit, you could have a loose connection on a component, it may be inside covering you could not see. electric testing meter is what you need to test with and sequence of operation to know what happens to find problem.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:30 AM

Thanks! Once you all got us looking for an electronic connection we found it! Seems to be working fine now!
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.