Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
TestPoint  
#1 Posted : Saturday, October 29, 2011 10:52:01 AM(UTC)
TestPoint

Groups: Registered

My gas logs have decided to quit working after only 13 years of service. Pilot is lit and easily relit if necessary. MilliVolt contact closure will result in quick and correct ignition of burners. After about 20 seconds burners go out and will not restart until some time has passed, more than a few minutes, less than overnight. Contact closure from standard thermostat but results the same with jumper clips.

Suggestions appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

TestPoint  
#2 Posted : Saturday, October 29, 2011 2:11:56 PM(UTC)
TestPoint

Testing results update:

Flipping the on/off millivolt switch will cause the gas to flow again for a few seconds to a couple minutes and then it turns off again. I do not have a schematic for the millivolt operations but assume (ass u me) that the 'on' position provides a short to the regulator while the 'off' connects the regulator to remote wiring to provide the short.

Is the millivolt control internal to the regulator?
TestPoint  
#3 Posted : Saturday, October 29, 2011 5:03:53 PM(UTC)
TestPoint

OK, been doing the research. Both the pilot light gas supply and the gas burner supply appear to be controlled by the thermopile generator. That is the thermocouple being heated in the pilot flame which generates about 0.75v (750 millivolts). Apparently my 13 year old unit is able to operate the pilot control with little voltage left to operate the burner supply valve. Of course, the problem could be the regulator valve. At least that gives me something to replace tomorrow.

Still looking for comments.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply