Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
chinahorse  
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 18, 2009 5:10:53 AM(UTC)
chinahorse

Groups: Registered

Our pilot went out on the furnace. I have tried several times to relight it, but no matter how long I hold down the button in Pilot position... the pilot goes out when I let go and it does not stay lit.

Why would it do that?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

icehouse  
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 18, 2009 11:02:32 AM(UTC)
icehouse

Groups: Senior Expert

Originally Posted by: chinahorse Go to Quoted Post
Our pilot went out on the furnace. I have tried several times to relight it, but no matter how long I hold down the button in Pilot position... the pilot goes out when I let go and it does not stay lit.

Why would it do that?

Re-Lighting a Pilot: IGNITION

To actually light the pilot proceed as follows:

• If you have a pilot with a red Reset button, turn the gas valve from "Off," to "Pilot."
  • If you have a pilot with no red button, turn the knob from "Off" to "Pilot."
  • Place the lit match or ignited lighter tip at the pilot and depress and hold the button or depress the knob as appropriate. Depress the button or knob for about 30 seconds. This maintains gas flow to the pilot until the thermocouple gets hot enough to open the main gas valve.
  • Once the pilot stays lit, slowly release the button or knob and turn the gas cock or knob from the "Pilot" position to the "On" position. This will ignite the burners and keep the flow of gas supplied as required for the burners as called for by the thermostat.
  • If the burners fail to ignite then it may be because the thermocouple did not get hot enough to open the gas valve. Wait a few minutes and then repeat the above procedure. This time hold the red reset button or depress the knob for about 45-60 seconds.
  • Once the main furnace burners ignite, adjust the thermostat to the desired setting.
When the Pilot Won't Stay Lit

If you've followed the previous steps on lighting the pilot and it still does not light after, or will not stay lit, then you probably have a problem with the thermocouple or an adjustment needs to be made to the pilot.
chinahorse  
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 18, 2009 12:27:21 PM(UTC)
chinahorse

Thanks. I do know how to light a pilot as I have done it many times. It just won't stay lit after I release the button.

So I need to look at replacing the thermocoupler? Or how would I know if the pilot just needs to be adjusted?
icehouse  
#4 Posted : Saturday, April 18, 2009 12:49:41 PM(UTC)
icehouse

chinahorse  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 28, 2009 3:55:06 AM(UTC)
chinahorse

Thanks, I did look at page 8. What kind of meter do I need to perform these tests? Sorry... I'm not very familiar with a furnace.
icehouse  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, April 28, 2009 4:24:45 AM(UTC)
icehouse

Here at Appliance Parts Pros

Appliance Parts > Tools and Testers > Voltmeters and testers
UserPostedImageenlarge photo
Digital multi-meter - Made by ML-Line. Compact digital multi-meter. Fuse protected. Size: 5-1/2 inch x 3-1/4 inch. Carrying case included.

Part Number: AP3440648
made by M-L
Our Price: $24.26
Compare at: $28.42
You Save: $4.16
dprather  
#7 Posted : Monday, May 11, 2009 10:58:12 AM(UTC)
dprather

try replacing the thermocouple its located at the pilot light
arivera1982  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, May 13, 2009 4:44:37 PM(UTC)
arivera1982

Normaly this problem is due to a bad thermocouple. A thermo couple is a flame proving device it is a safety so if this is the problem this safety will not allow the pilot to stay on. Asssure that you install this part directly in the path of the flame and it is available @ most hardware stores and the length doesnt matter generally comes in 36 inch size. If this doesnt work the problem may be in your gas valve. Good luck
chinahorse  
#9 Posted : Sunday, June 7, 2009 5:08:12 PM(UTC)
chinahorse

Thanks for everyone's responses. I just wanted to follow up and say that I replaced the thermocouple and that fixed it.

In hindsight, I wish I had known that a thermocouple if both simple to replace AND only $8 -- I would have done this in the beginning whether I was sure it was the problem or not, instead of buying a digital multimeter and worrying about how to fix it. Not that a multimeter isn't good to have around, but I could have saved myself $25.

Thanks again! I don't know what I'd do without this forum.
icehouse  
#10 Posted : Monday, June 8, 2009 6:25:05 AM(UTC)
icehouse

Originally Posted by: arivera1982 Go to Quoted Post
Normaly this problem is due to a bad thermocouple. A thermo couple is a flame proving device it is a safety so if this is the problem this safety will not allow the pilot to stay on. Asssure that you install this part directly in the path of the flame and it is available @ most hardware stores and the length doesnt matter generally comes in 36 inch size. If this doesnt work the problem may be in your gas valve. Good luck

Amen to that.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply