Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
chinahorse  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 8, 2011 5:45:49 AM(UTC)
chinahorse

Groups: Registered

My compressor stopped kicking on over the weekend. I noticed that the breaker in the garage is in the 'blown' position, but when I turn it off and back on again it stays in the 'blown' position. By 'blown' I mean, not tightly in "On" and it has play in the switch. It's a 30amp 2-pole breaker. No other power in my house appears to be affected.

1. Would my compressor be on it's own circuit? (30 amp 2-pole)
2. If so, is it a problem with the breaker or with the compressor? I tend to think it's the breaker because I can't turn it back on at all, even when nothing is pulling from it.

btw, I checked the fan in the compressor and it spins easily. What else should I check in the compressor?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

chinahorse  
#2 Posted : Monday, August 8, 2011 8:16:31 AM(UTC)
chinahorse

Update: I replaced the 30 amp 2-pole breaker just to be sure. And now I know, as soon as the compressor kicks on and the fan starts to run, it throws the breaker. So something electrical is failing. But I know the fan/motor are working. What else could it be? Thanks!
timothy_nd28  
#3 Posted : Monday, September 12, 2011 10:05:59 AM(UTC)
timothy_nd28

It could be a couple of things. First, keep the breaker off. Next, go outside to the condenser and pull off the cover on the control panel. Inspect the dual run capacitor for any bulging. Next, follow the wires from the contactor to the compressor. This will mean that you'll have to remove the top cover of this condenser. Remove the plastic cover off of the compressor, and inspect the wire terminals. Sometimes I see a failed wire connector, which will cause a wire to fall off and short across another wire. If these wires look good inside the compressor cover, then remove the 3 wires, and ohm from the copper pipe to any of the 3 terminals on the compressor. If you read any resistance, then you have a failed compressor.

Good luck
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply