Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
lemiley  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 30, 2007 1:11:30 AM(UTC)
lemiley

Groups: Registered

We got this ac 3 or 4 years ago. Something in moter has failed. It ceases up. My husband kept it working last year by oiling it. Well whatever is supposed to turn doesn't and now oiling doesn't help it to either. My husband order a part from a local place in town and they have to get it from you and they joked that it would take 2 months. Then they said it would take a couple days. one week later my husband called to see if it was in and it wasn't he was told it would take 10-14 days. Well its been over 3 weeks. That way too long. The part cost $60 that is hard enough for us to come up with but we can't afford a new refrigerator either. What's my refrigerator have to do with the AC? Well, when it gets hot and humid my refrigerator does not work well. Last spell the temp was 53. That's not cold enough to keep food but because the house was hot a humid that was the best my fridge could do.

I have asthma breathing is not so easy when it's like that either and i have to use my inhalor and nebulizer when it gets hot and humid in my house. So why is it taking so long to get the motor that was ordered? Is it because all these models are broken and everyone is ordering the same thing and you can't keep up?

It going into the 90's again and our AC is still broke!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

jdman  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 31, 2007 4:08:41 AM(UTC)
jdman

With the specs off the bad motor you should be able to get at any appliance parts hos or Graingers off the shelf. This should not be an order part unless you are wanting orginal replacement. Ar far as your ref it should keep cool regardless of the temp. How many times have you seen one in a garage at 90 degrees and still at proper cooling temp? Pull ref from back of wall and clean and vacuum all the dust etc. from the coils and fan area. This will help it to run cooler. When it is loaded with dust it is impossible for it to disapate the heat. Good Luck
Admin / APP Team  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 31, 2007 3:27:35 PM(UTC)
Admin / APP Team

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Lemiley,

I understand you're frustrated, but I think there's been some misunderstanding. We have this motor in stock, dozens in fact. I assure you, if your local place had ordered one from us 3 weeks ago, they'd had it delivered about 2 and a half weeks ago. I think they may have ordered it directly from Whirlpool and probably as part of their regular monthly order. That is the only explanation I can think of as to why it's taken so long for them to get it. We operate slightly differently. Our main goal is to get the parts to you as quickly as possible. Most of our customers get their orders within 1-2 business days.

On another hand, $60 doesn't sound very practical for this motor. Are you sure you are getting an original Whirlpool motor? It retails for $98 and we're selling it for $79.

Here is the link: Part Details - WHIRLPOOL Fan motor, part number: AP3595211
lemiley  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 1, 2007 1:24:36 PM(UTC)
lemiley

Greeting yes thats what my husband needs and the reason he was told $60 dollars is becausewhere he went is a wholesale place and he was in the business for 20 years so he knew the guy. Anyways he told me to go ahead and order it from you cause. It still hasn't come in. so how to I go about that and what is the final cost?
Admin / APP Team  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, August 1, 2007 1:34:34 PM(UTC)
Admin / APP Team

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
lemiley,

Contact us either by phone or live chat and ask for Adam. He will take care of it for you.
gpedens  
#6 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2008 7:34:58 PM(UTC)
gpedens

My daughter has the same window unit and it is doing the same thing you describe. The son-in-law done the oiling too. I cleaned out a bunch of oil. It was the shaft in the evaporator/condenser fan motor. The Whirlpool part number on the motor is 1187177 or Zhongshan model YDK-120S63020-01A. It is a 230 volt 3 speed motor. From the shaft wear pattern it appears the shaft was slightly bent or rotor out of balance on one end and the shaft was worn egg shaped letting the rotor scrub the stator. The bearing is usually what wears first rather than the shaft in my case. Motor prices I found were aout 71 to 137 bucks not including shipping or tax. Most were about 100. Being a tinkerer , i removed the bearing on the worn end and bored it out about 20 thousandths then welded up the shaft and turned it down to fit the bearing. It is now running fine. I dont recommend you have a motor or machine shop do this as it would probably cost more than 2 new motors. I spent about 15 hours disassembling,cleaning,testing, looking for parts, making parts, welding, machining, reassembling, and test running. And the shaft is still slightly bent. So maybe it will last another 2 or 3 years. Probably less as I am not a good welder.
gpedens  
#7 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2008 7:50:31 PM(UTC)
gpedens

As for your refrigerator, I would check the defrost timer, defrost heater, door seal, and evaporator fan motor. It could be low on freon but that is rare. I have seen folks slam the doors so hard the freezer door will pop open a little. Look for water near the door seals. A bad seal will leave a cool spot on the door near the leak and moisture will condense on it. Most of the time it is the defrost heater or defrost timer.
dnchrist  
#8 Posted : Thursday, November 6, 2008 9:11:51 AM(UTC)
dnchrist

Hi again! The refridgerator you helped me with works fine and the person I gave it to is very happy! it was the defroster timer as you suspected. The hardest part was finding it! Thanks!

Now I have an issue with the a/c unit I use to cool my garage. I have the same issue as everyone else - motor froze up, oiled, worked for a while and then seized up again. I have the motor out, and it is very hard to turn. I haven't disassembled it yet.

Is it possible the bearings are porus (fiber or something) and the added oil caused them to swell?

If I buy a new replacement, if its the same make & model, won't it freeze up again in a few years?

I suspect part of the problem is because the bearing surfaces get very little protection from the elements. The grill is right above the motor, so it's very easy to get rained on.

When I had the problem originally, I contacted Whirlpool. They said it was out of warranty. It is pretty much permanently mounted in the wall because of its size and location against an inside wall. Since it was out of warranty, I very carefully cut the upper grill on one side, and just flipped it up. A couple of weeks later I got a card in the mail saying my warranty was about to expire. I called them and explained what had happened. They said the opening wouldn't be a problem, so I reupped the warranty to 2011. When it died a couple of days ago, I contacted Whirlpool. They sent out a repairman from A&E Factory Service. He took one look at it and said he couldn't touch it because I had voided the warranty. He then asked me to take it out of the wall so he could get numbers off of it to fill out his paperwork to get paid for the call. In a very nice way I told him the Model & Serial which I had written down originaly. This
matched the warranty paperwork. He then asked me to unscrew the front cover so he could look for numbers. I was the first call of the day, and he had on a very nice crisply pressed shirt, so I suspect that was part of the problem. He said they normally didn't touch them unless they were on the floor. I asked him what the heck in house service meant, as if I was the one taking it out, I might as well be the one carrying it in to a service center. I then asked if they had the same policy with dishwashers and garbage disposals. He said I was being silly. I called Whirlpool again, they talked to the tech, and told me I needed to write a letter to Whirlpool to try and get some of my warranty money back. After finishing with me, He sat in his van in my driveway for an hour making calls until I asked him to leave

Thanks!

Dave
icehouse  
#9 Posted : Thursday, November 6, 2008 12:44:53 PM(UTC)
icehouse

Groups ready for retrieval: Senior Expert

A&E Service Company has one of the worst reputations here on Long Island.
A close friend who works for Whirlpool Corporate said that they are in the process of getting rid of them.
dnchrist  
#10 Posted : Saturday, November 8, 2008 10:43:32 PM(UTC)
dnchrist

Thanks to all your help on the Refrigerator, I went ahead and ordered the motor that afternoon. I GOT IT THE NEXT MORNING!

You guys are tops!!!!

Thanks!

Dave
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply