Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
vrapp  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 6, 2011 8:54:37 AM(UTC)
vrapp

Groups: Registered

I noticed that my tank water heater "Bradford White" is gradually losing the performance with the time, and about every two years I have to turn the water temperature dial a little further in order to achieve the same temperature of the hot water. Seven years ago the dial was in about the middle position; now it has almost reached the limit. Does it mean that I need to start thinking about new water heater, or there's some maintenance or repair that can be done? I do drain the water about once a year, but I never replaced the anode.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Joe / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Friday, January 7, 2011 9:07:41 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: vrapp Go to Quoted Post
I noticed that my tank water heater "Bradford White" is gradually losing the performance with the time, and about every two years I have to turn the water temperature dial a little further in order to achieve the same temperature of the hot water. Seven years ago the dial was in about the middle position; now it has almost reached the limit. Does it mean that I need to start thinking about new water heater, or there's some maintenance or repair that can be done? I do drain the water about once a year, but I never replaced the anode.

Vrapp,

I wouldn't worry about the anode, unless you're in an area with really hard water, or a lot of chemical or minerals, it has little to do with heating the water but,

You may want to remove one of the elements, and see if you have a heavy deposit of minerals attached on it,and the condition of the element.

Do you have a lot of deposits in the water when you drain the tank ?

That's about as far as I can get you, at this time.

Good Luck,
:) :) :)
vrapp  
#3 Posted : Friday, January 7, 2011 9:47:37 AM(UTC)
vrapp

Sorry, what is "element"? I see I have forgotten to mention that this is gas water heater.
Joe / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 7, 2011 11:09:50 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Sorry, what is "element"? I see I have forgotten to mention that this is gas water heater.

Vrapp,

No, You didn't mention that it was a gas heated unit,

I made the mistake of assuming.

But some or most of the information I sent you is still relavent,

You could have a sediment build up on the inside of the tank,

Instead of draining the tank, you should also flush the tank.

(Drain the tank, once empty open the water valve to allow the tank to partially drain and flush the remainder of sediment from the bottom of the tank).

The other thing you want to check is the burner flame characteristics, blue flame, little to no white or yellow tipping,and should encompass the base of the tank(not too small, not too large) and no sooting on the bottom of the tank.

Good Luck,

:cool: :cool: :cool:
micoder  
#5 Posted : Friday, January 7, 2011 12:31:41 PM(UTC)
micoder

Maybe it is just the thermostat. If turning it up over time got you to the right temperature, they I suspect it is a thermostat going South. They are not that hard to replace.

Michael
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply