Discuss

A/C unit won't kick on

in

Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC)

. "

When I adjust my electric thermostat, the fan on my outdoor unit won't turn on. There is an audible click

..."

Register | FAQ's | New Posts | Today's Posts | Extras
Appliance Repair Forum > Appliance Repair Help > Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC) » A/C unit won't kick on

Post New Thread  Reply By reading any content on this site you agree to AppliancePartsPros.com, Inc. disclaimer and Terms of Use.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2008, 04:22 AM

DSMarti is on a distinguished road
Unhappy A/C unit won't kick on
Brand: GE   Age: Less than 1 year   

Appliance Parts from AppliancePartPros.com

When I adjust my electric thermostat, the fan on my outdoor unit won't turn on. There is an audible click at the outside unit however, which leads me to believe it's the relay that's not getting my fan started.

I've tried manually pushing the fan and it moves without restrictions in EITHER direction. Once it begins, it continues at the same speed under it's own power.

Before I tear this thing apart (and I am hesitant to do so as I know very little about electricity or AC units) I want to make sure I am looking in the right place.

I've also taken the panel off and written down the numbers off of the relay presently there, and cannot find any matches for them online. It's a GE relay and the codes on it are: CR453CC3HLLAY and 024-27531-000

Any assistance anyone can give is most appreciated. It's still hot here in Maryland, and the wife's about to mutiny over this AC problem.

Last edited by DSMarti : 09-03-2008 at 04:24 AM. Reason: The age of the unit should be 4 years, not 1.
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Old 09-14-2008, 03:24 PM

ebconn is on a distinguished road
Default Might be the Cap!

It sounds like you may have a bad capacitor. The capacitor is a metal can or cylinder with terminals on one end. It should be located under a cover panel on the outside unit. If the unit uses a dual capacitor it will have three terminals on it (most common). The three terminals will be HERM, FAN, and C (stamped into the metal next to each terminal). The herm terminal is the start assist for you compressor the C is common and the FAN is the start assist for the condenser fan motor. Caps are not easy to check but they are fairly cheap, $15 to $20.
The clicking sound you hear may be the contactor (switch) that provides power to the compressor. If you are inclined to replace the cap take the following precautions. Disconnect the power to the outside unit (trip the breaker or pull the service disconnect). Discharge any stored charge in the cap by touching a screwdriver across the terminals, then go ahead and replace the cap.

Hope this helps!
Old 09-14-2008, 09:37 PM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

libertyappl is on a distinguished road

If it's less than a year old call a authorized tech to have it checked, if you haven't already voided your warranty.
Nat
-We don't have a fancy website but, we do have fast reliable service in South Central Missouri & do warranty work for Whirlpool, Estate, Maytag, Amana, Frigidaire, Gibson & more. We service most of the South Central Ozarks region. Send us an email at libertyapplservice@yahoo.com
We are also Ministers that do a weekly jail house ministry.

Rate Liberty Appliance Service on MyPros.com
Old 09-28-2008, 08:24 AM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

icehouse is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebconn View Post
It sounds like you may have a bad capacitor. The capacitor is a metal can or cylinder with terminals on one end. It should be located under a cover panel on the outside unit. If the unit uses a dual capacitor it will have three terminals on it (most common). The three terminals will be HERM, FAN, and C (stamped into the metal next to each terminal). The herm terminal is the start assist for you compressor the C is common and the FAN is the start assist for the condenser fan motor. Caps are not easy to check but they are fairly cheap, $15 to $20.
The clicking sound you hear may be the contactor (switch) that provides power to the compressor. If you are inclined to replace the cap take the following precautions. Disconnect the power to the outside unit (trip the breaker or pull the service disconnect). Discharge any stored charge in the cap by touching a screwdriver across the terminals, then go ahead and replace the cap.

Hope this helps!
Capacitors are easily tested with an "Ohm" meter. Disconect power. Remove the leads from the terminals (mark them). Place one lead on each terminal, and watch reading. It should go up,then slowly down. If it does not move or stays up capacitor is bad.
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.