Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MikeF1966  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 12, 2010 8:01:33 AM(UTC)
MikeF1966

Groups: Registered

Hello, I have a 10,000 BTU GE portable AC and the control panel is not responsding as it should. It's illuminated and some buttons work (power, temp up, (but not down) and other buttons). The fan turns on but not the compressor. The unit has been in the closet for about 5 years now and was only used for a short time when purchased about 6 / 7 years ago. I think it may be the PCB control panel that's the problem, but I'm not an AC repair person and not sure.

Any suggestions are welcome. Again, the unit has barely been used and the interior (I removed the cover) seems in tact and fine.

Many thanks in advance!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

kooler  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 19, 2010 12:29:13 PM(UTC)
kooler

Groups: Senior Expert

It may very well be that the compressor is shot on this unit even tho it was hardly used.. If you're skilled with using a volt tester then disassemble the unit exposing the wires to the compressor terminal and check for power with the controls turned to cool... If power is getting to the compressor and it's not running then it's shot... Another way is to disassemble and simply run the unit on cool for a 1/2 hour or so and just feel the compressor being mindful it may be very hot... This could indicate the compressor is being powered up but can't run so the motor inside gets hot to the touch... Finally, if power is not measured at the compressor in the cool cycle then most likely it's the control like you first diagnosed... cheers kooler
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply