Discuss

Maytag neptune bad spin bearing check

in

General Talk

. "

I had a customer complain her Maytag Neptune washer would cut out during high speed spin. I checked the basket

..."

Register | FAQ's | New Posts | Today's Posts | Extras
Appliance Repair Forum > Appliance Repair Help > General Talk » Maytag neptune bad spin bearing check

Post New Thread  Reply By reading any content on this site you agree to AppliancePartsPros.com, Inc. disclaimer and Terms of Use.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-25-2008, 08:59 AM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

richappy is a name known to all
Default Maytag neptune bad spin bearing check

Appliance Parts from AppliancePartPros.com

I had a customer complain her Maytag Neptune washer would cut out during high speed spin. I checked the basket for rough bearings, but couldn't tell. Apparently, the bearings hadn't reached the level of failure that causes a roar.
I put an amp probe on the main black input power wire to the motor control board and measured about 1 amp at low speed and over three amps near maximum speed and the motor started to overheat. This confirmed to me that the bearings where bad.
Later,I picked up the washer as junk, took it apart and confirmed bad tub bearings, so apparently my check was valid. Any comments, please.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Old 04-25-2008, 10:22 AM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

glen65 is on a distinguished road

[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=black]The bearings donít necessarily need to be totally shot [/COLOR][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=black]in order to cause a problem like this. They might work [/COLOR][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=black]freely when removed, but when you put belt tension on the [/COLOR][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=black]pulley or a load in the drum then they can bind enough [/COLOR][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=black]to place an excess load on the motor. Given more time this[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=black]would have either fried the motor or even more likely the[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=black]motor board.[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana] [/FONT][/COLOR]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000] [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
Old 04-26-2008, 07:58 AM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

richappy is a name known to all

Thanks for the info Glen65, I have little experience with these washers, will help in the future.