Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
harrymckee  
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 30, 2008 3:51:13 AM(UTC)
harrymckee

Groups: Registered

i have a water cooler made by Les Produits Addico (Canadian), model number 528-AZ. the compressor does not want to start up. when i plug the unit in, after about 30 seconds there is a click, and if i put my hand on the compressor i can feel it vibrating slightly in an attempt to startup, then after about 5-10 seconds the thermal overload switch kicks in and shuts it off. it's like the compressor is stuck. i've tried rapping on the top of it with the handle of a screwdriver to unstick it, but no luck. any ideas?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

libertyappl  
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 30, 2008 5:13:31 AM(UTC)
libertyappl

Groups: Senior Expert

We've never worked on a water cooler, but the basics of a compressor is they have a start device/relay overload which starts the compressor. Chances are yours is not working thus the compressor will not run.
Sorry not much help but it might give you a place to start.

Nat
harrymckee  
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 30, 2008 7:12:38 AM(UTC)
harrymckee

thanks for your input nat. so i assume that the "start device/relay overload" are in the same part, which makes sense because that is the only part hanging off the side of the compressor. this is what clicks when the compressor tries to come on, and then clicks again when it overloads and shuts down, and the compressor does the vibration thing in the interim. so i'm guessing that the start/overload switch is working fine then? and that probably the compressor has siezed up? anything i can do besides bang on it to unsieze it? i doubt it, sounds like its time for a new cooler, but if there is a possibility that its the switch then i'll explore further.
libertyappl  
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 30, 2008 7:30:36 AM(UTC)
libertyappl

You might look on the part that's clicking see if you can see a part number on it. That start device I think is your problem.
Nat
icehouse  
#5 Posted : Saturday, November 1, 2008 5:18:30 PM(UTC)
icehouse

What you hear "clicking" is the overload. The relay is the starting switch, which if replaced may allow the compressor to start. There are special testers that have a momentary-reverse switch to jog the compressor, however the compressor usually dies.
harrymckee  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 4, 2008 4:10:53 AM(UTC)
harrymckee

my only concern in replacing the relay/starter thingy is that when it clicks to start the compressor, i can feel the compressor vibrating slightly, which would seem to indicate that the switch worked and is attempting to startup the compressor, and then after about 10 seconds it overloads and kicks off. so if you are both still recommending i replace the switch then i will try that, but just wanted to double-check first before i went down that road. the top of the switch is covered in numbers:

J506
A120-A320
D18-4R7
2-180-3

so if you can point me to the correct replacement part, that would be great. my next question would be...how do i get the dang thing off? there are no screws and it looks like all i can do is pull on it, which i've tried by hand but have not applied much force yet.
icehouse  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, November 4, 2008 4:32:49 AM(UTC)
icehouse

Try a "Supco" RCO-410 it has a start capacitor for an extra kick. :)
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply