Appliance Repair Forum

Appliance Repair Forum (http://forum.appliancepartspros.com/)
-   Garbage Disposer Repair (http://forum.appliancepartspros.com/garbage-disposer-repair/)
-   -   Disposer died! (http://forum.appliancepartspros.com/garbage-disposer-repair/1535-disposer-died.html)

Leslie 10-08-2007 04:52 PM

Disposer died!
 
Was using the disposer and it stopped, I thought something had jammed it. I turned it off to check it and there wasn't anything in it that i could see. Now when we turn it on it hums and sometimes doesn't even do that. I'm not having any dishwasher/sink drainage problems. There's a small button on the bottom but it doesn't seem to make any difference .

Admin / APP Team 10-09-2007 12:32 AM

If the disposer is making a humming noise, that means it's jammed. Unplug the disposer and inspect inside again to make sure there are no foreign objects. You can then release the disposer and plug it back in.

How to release a garbage disposer:
There is a small hole on the bottom of the disposer, right in the center and near the red button you were talking about. Insert a 1/4 inch Allen (hex) wrench (typically supplied with the disposer, can be purchased from most hardware stores) in the hole and move it back and forth until it moves freely. Plug the disposer back in and try it with the water running (you should not use a disposer without water running through it).

Hope this helps.

wdanielstrans@comcast.net 10-18-2007 03:23 PM

garbage disposal was running but when i cut it off it jammed tried to un jam it using tool to turn but it is just locked when i reset it it just humms before it trips

Admin / APP Team 11-06-2007 12:21 AM

Sounds like it's still jammed. With the disposer power cord still unplugged, check inside for any foreign objects. Try to unlock using the tool again...

justinfb@optonline.net 12-22-2007 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 3593)
Was using the disposer and it stopped, I thought something had jammed it. I turned it off to check it and there wasn't anything in it that i could see. Now when we turn it on it hums and sometimes doesn't even do that. I'm not having any dishwasher/sink drainage problems. There's a small button on the bottom but it doesn't seem to make any difference .

reply; your disposer has a small tool that can crank the the disposer manually. if the disposer does not turn freely, there is someting stuck in the blades. you may be able to loosen this up by turning the tool back and and forth. i have replaced the disposer once onlyto find out that the motor was running well after i had taken in out and saw someting stuck in the blades. mymotor was humming also.

charrie 03-03-2008 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Admin / APP Team (Post 3602)
If the disposer is making a humming noise, that means it's jammed. Unplug the disposer and inspect inside again to make sure there are no foreign objects. You can then release the disposer and plug it back in.

How to release a garbage disposer:
There is a small hole on the bottom of the disposer, right in the center and near the red button you were talking about. Insert a 1/4 inch Allen (hex) wrench (typically supplied with the disposer, can be purchased from most hardware stores) in the hole and move it back and forth until it moves freely. Plug the disposer back in and try it with the water running (you should not use a disposer without water running through it).

Hope this helps.

If you don't have a tool and you want to try something else take the household broom handle (Long & Strong Everyone has one) turn it upside down and put it in the disposal... find a blade or area where you can rest the handle against and stir until it moves usually like just once or twice with pressure will do it, reset the button on the bottom and your good to go. My dad taught me this trick

charrie 03-03-2008 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdanielstrans@comcast.net (Post 4206)
garbage disposal was running but when i cut it off it jammed tried to un jam it using tool to turn but it is just locked when i reset it it just humms before it trips

Try the unjamming with the end of a broom handle... give a good stir 1 -2 times.. You can tell when it unjams because it willl move, reset it and go.

mack0196 05-04-2008 08:01 AM

Success
 
Using the allen wrench to crank the disposal manually worked for me. As I unjammed it a bunch of coffee grinds came out. I think it was the collection of coffee that was the source of the problem.

pelon2008 09-15-2008 02:24 PM

same problem, no solution yet
 
i tried both the wrench and the broom handle. (about ten times) the blades move but the disposal still hums. the reset switch didn't help. any other suggestions??????

Zanshin 09-24-2008 07:10 PM

I think its a safe bet you need a new disposer,sounds like the main motor has a bad winding. Check your use and care manual to see if it has an extended warranty.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:55 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17