Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
richappy  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 29, 2008 2:47:12 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
If you are freaking out from the $425 rear tub shell price+ high shipping cost, just replace your bearings!! Before starting, I would verify the washer will still go into high speed spin. It is common for the motor control board or the motor to fail due to the extra load on these.Also, verify there was no spin basket support spider failure that may have punched a hole in the tub, if so, repair will be too costly.
To replace the Maytag Neptune rear shell bearings first order the seal and bearings.
The bearings can be ordered from this web site 6207ZZ Ball Bearings 35x72x17 Shielded:Ball Bearings:VXB But, instead of these bearings, I would opt for sealed bearings, particularly for the inner large bearing, they last a lot longer.
SKF numbers (large bearing SKF6207-2RS1/HT51, small bearing SKF6206-ZZ/HT51) If you want, you can also order these from an auto parts store. These bearings will fit the MAH3000 and MAH4000 washers.
Also order the lip seal Part # 12002022 seal kit plus a tube of silicone grease.
You will need to remove the whole tub assembly,and pound off the spin basket, I brace up the tub with wood blocks to facilitate this. Use a gear puller to remove the old bearings. If you don't want to use a gear puller, I would pound them out with a peace of steel pipe. Inspect the outer bearing, lots of times it is ok. If so,pound this one out with a wooden dowel to prevent damaging it. Make sure to remove the motor, motor control pc board and pump to prevent damage. It is a good idea to keep the boot spring in place and just remove both tub front covers. This spring is hard to put on when the tub is put back in. When removing all the wire connectors, be careful and make sure no pins come loose to avoid a computer communication error later.
Store the new bearings in the freezer, then press them in. This is at least a four hour job, but rather easy.
For one procedure, go to web site (How To Replace Your Maytag Neptune Front Loader Bearings by Jeff Hartman]6207ZZ Ball Bearings 35x72x17 Shielded:Ball Bearings:VXB) At this site they do not remove the tub from the washer, but you will need to pull front panel off and rubber boot and pound out the spin basket.You can tip the washer forward and brace it to facilitate this. I used a log splitter and a piece of wood to protect the basket shaft.Also it is obvious you will need to use a gear puller to remove bearings as pounding the old ones out would be impossible. If you do pound them out, I would get the largest steel pipe to pound them out. If you find the outer bearing is good, just leave it in. Also, it is obvious you will need to do this in the customers garage or your shop. If the spin basket is really hard to get out, I would not proceed,but would pull the entire tub out, lay it on it's front and use wood to brace up the tub.I welcome any comments on this procedure.
Good luck, maybe only a two hour job if you are lucky.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ApplianceJunk  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 29, 2008 4:58:23 AM(UTC)
ApplianceJunk

When I click on the first link you posted I get

Page Not found

Why don't AppliancePartsPros.com sell just the bearings?
richappy  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 29, 2008 5:19:37 AM(UTC)
richappy

Appliancejunk, the SKF #s given can be used at any bearing site and the seal is available at this site. Also, I just checked my old Whirlpool bearing puller and it is exactly the right one to pull these bearings!!! Also, now the tub price is $425 double the previous price!!
I also updated the web site for bearings.
Yes, an open item for this site's management to sell the bearings directly.
ApplianceJunk  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 29, 2008 5:26:08 AM(UTC)
ApplianceJunk

Cool, thanks!
richappy  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 29, 2008 11:37:27 AM(UTC)
richappy

Uh, the bearing puller will need some big washers, will give info when I get details. Update: Looks like a 3 inch dia. short section of pipe and a 5/8 inch hole in a end washer will do the trick.Just replace the 2 inch barrel with the 3 inch one with the big washer on top Also, I will use the bearing installer which has a handle, just swap the grabber end that pulls the bearing.
Looks like the bearing installer will install the bearings, just press them in all the way.
Admin / APP Team  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, July 15, 2008 8:17:04 PM(UTC)
Admin / APP Team

Groups:

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
We'll take a look into getting these bearings for our inventory.

Another great post, Richappy!
ApplianceJunk  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, July 15, 2008 9:04:48 PM(UTC)
ApplianceJunk

That would be great.
richappy  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, July 16, 2008 1:16:06 AM(UTC)
richappy

Thanks Admin. Always strive to give complete and accurate info on a topic.
hl0103  
#9 Posted : Sunday, November 9, 2008 9:08:47 PM(UTC)
hl0103

Groups: Registered

can you tell me what bearing install to use? I'm trying to replace the bearing for my neptune front loader(mah4000) which was making loud noise during cycle. But I'm having trouble to pull in new front bearing by reconfiguring the puller i made to pull them out. The bearing just won' go in straight and get stuck. Any suggestion of bearing installer i should use? thanks
v2k04  
#10 Posted : Sunday, November 9, 2008 10:53:57 PM(UTC)
v2k04

Quick Reply Show Quick Reply