Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
linux4me  
#1 Posted : Monday, May 31, 2010 1:02:51 PM(UTC)
linux4me

Groups: Registered

The dryer won't heat on any heat setting in either automatic mode or timed mode.

There is 240 V at the outlet, and 120 V on L1 and L2 at the terminal on the back of the dryer. I tested the heating coil, thermal cutoff, cycling thermostat (purple and red wires), and the high-limit thermostat for continuity after removing one wire on each and all tested okay. The heating element has ~9 ohms of resistance. With the dryer plugged back in and running, I tested each of the two wires to the heating element with the other wire disconnected for voltage, and the one side (from the motor) had 120 V, but the other side (from the infinite temperature selector) had zero.

Using this wiring diagram as a reference, I removed the blue wire from the timer and tested the voltage at the terminal on the timer with the dryer running in regular, permanent press and timed cycles and it showed no voltage. I confirmed that the yellow and black wires at the timer each have 120 V with the other disconnected.

I'm thinking all this means the timer is bad, but before I pony up for the ~$90 part, I wanted to make sure my thinking is correct by checking with the experts here.

TIA
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 1, 2010 3:37:46 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Yes I would agree with you that the timer looks shot.

To double check you could unplug the unit and set the unit to mid-cycle timed dry. Then measure across the timer #3 contacts with the blue wire disconnected, should be 0 ohms.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
linux4me  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 1, 2010 7:00:06 AM(UTC)
linux4me

I guess it's a new timer, then. I disconnected the blue wire and measured across the black to the #3 terminal and it registered infinite resistance on Rx1.

Thanks for the reply. I will post back my results after I get the new timer installed.
linux4me  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 8, 2010 2:40:15 PM(UTC)
linux4me

Got the new timer today. The swap was easy and it fixed the problem. Thanks for the help!
denman  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, June 8, 2010 6:20:04 PM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Thanks for the help!

You are welcome.

And thanks for getting back to us. Now when others search for a similar problem they will see how you troubleshot the problem and what actually worked instead of just suggestions about what could be the cause.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply