Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
blifsey  
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 8, 2010 10:50:28 AM(UTC)
blifsey

Groups: Registered

I have a Kenmore 110.87980100 gas dryer which appears to be a Whirlpool model. The burner was not coming on and the ignitor was not glowing. I did not have a good multimeter and had replaced ignitors on several other dryers and oven so I just ordered a new ignitor hoping that was it. Well, it obviously wasn't hence my post here.

I bought a decent digital meter to test all the other components. The very odd thing is when I went to test the flame sensor one of the terminal was broken off. I don't know if I accidently did this changing the ignitor or if it was already broken. So, I definitely need a new flame sensor but if I broke it changing ignitor there could be another problem. Here's the numbers I get.
- Ignitor - 48ohms (old ignitor is 55ohms)
- Flame sensor - since broken can't be checked. I tried sticking probe into hole where blade connector was but it is testing as open. I don't think I'm able to make contact with any part of the sensor.
- Valve coils (2 prong) 1200ohms, (3 prong) outside blades 560ohms, 1 to 2 prongs 1300ohms and 2 to 3 1900ohms (1 is black wires, 2 is blue wires and 3 is white wires)
- Thermal fuse - infinite
- Thermostat - both exhaust and filter vents are infinite. The thermostat on exhaust vent has 2 other connectors with purple wires that are reading 3600ohms.

OK...the weird question...with dryer plugged in but not turned on I am getting 120V reading on both wires that go to the flame sensor. Is this correct?

My concern is ordering just a flame sensor and there still being another issue. Thanks in advance for any insight!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.