Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
erosenbaum  
#1 Posted : Monday, May 3, 2010 10:08:47 AM(UTC)
erosenbaum

Groups: Registered

I am replacing an old series K coil kit part number 349748. This part has 6 wires coming out of it.

• A black and blue wire that are bundled together into a plastic plug
  • A blue wire with a 1/4 inch connector on the end
  • A white wire with a 1/4 inch connector on the end
  • A red wire
  • A black wire
The part that I purchased from AppliancePartsPros.com me has exactly the same colored wires.

After removing the old coil kit from the gas valve and attaching the new coil kit, I

• attached the blue wire with a 1/4 inch connector on the end to where the old one was attached
  • attached the white wire with a 1/4 inch connector on the end to where the old one was attached
  • spliced the black wire to the wire that the old black wire was spliced to
  • spliced the red wire to the wire that the old red wire was spliced to
  • unplugged the old bundled blue and black wires and plugged in the new bundled blue and black wires
When I turn the dryer on, the heating element glows but the gas will not ignite. If I put back the old coil kit, everything works.

Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong?

Thanks.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Monday, May 3, 2010 3:37:05 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
You have to figure out what kind of gas valve is in your dryer and follow the installation instructions for the coil kit.

Gene.
erosenbaum  
#3 Posted : Monday, May 3, 2010 4:24:35 PM(UTC)
erosenbaum

Thanks Gene. I am not overly mechanical, but I figured that if I replaced an old k series coil kit part number 349748 with a new one, all I would need to do is replace the old wiring with the new wiring. The old coil kit and the new one are the same part number, and have the same colored wires. I thought that if I attached the new wires to where the old wires were attached, everything would work. Obviously I am missing something.

-Edward
Gene  
#4 Posted : Monday, May 3, 2010 6:28:35 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Edward,

Such coils are not very simple to replace. Whirlpool had redesigned it and changed the part number from 349748 to 279137. You can not wire it exactly the same way as the old one was. That's why it comes with the installation instructions.

Where did you purchase this coil kit from? If you did it through Appliance Parts Pros, then it's not too late to return the part because of their very friendly return policy and order the whole gas valve assembly instead. Even if it cost twice as much as the coil kit, you will win because it comes with new type of coils, it is more reliable and it's much easier to install.

- The gas valve assembly Part number: AP3094285
Part number: AP3094285

Gene.
erosenbaum  
#5 Posted : Monday, May 3, 2010 6:43:42 PM(UTC)
erosenbaum

Thanks again Gene. I did order the part from AppliancePartsPro, so I will contact them about returning the coil kit and getting the part you recommend. I guess what confused me is that the installation instructions were for part 279137, but the actual replacement part is stamped with the part number 349748 (which is the same part number as my old coil kit).

-Edward
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply