Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
agrahamday  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 23, 2010 12:03:21 PM(UTC)
agrahamday

Groups: Registered

Hi! I have read through a few posts about similar problems and I just want to make sure the action I am going to take is heading in the right direction.

My dryer does heat, though it runs through the cycles continously and only stops at the end of a cycle or when the door is open. if the door opens, the dryer stops as it should. So it seems the timer is actually working, as the buzzer goes off when the cycle is finished and the dryer stops. However, if I do not open the door, then after a while it goes to the next drying "cycle" and on and on and on. It cools down like it should, it stops when the cycle is complete, but the thing just keeps going if that makes sense.

My plan is to replace the push to start switch as I read on one of the posts that my dryer continuing to run is just like the start switch being continuously pushed.

Am I heading in the right direction, or should I be looking at resistors and timers and such?/

all help is greatly appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

magician59  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 23, 2010 1:40:35 PM(UTC)
magician59

Groups: Senior Expert

Do you have to push the start switch to get it started at first?
agrahamday  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 23, 2010 3:30:42 PM(UTC)
agrahamday

No. All I have to do is shut the door. If the door is closed the dryer is running. If it is not actually tumbling in a cycle it is between cycles and you can hear the timer ticking. The knob continues to move till of reached the next cycle on the dial and it starts to tumble again. I never have to push the start button.
Susie520  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 14, 2010 12:38:57 PM(UTC)
Susie520

Have you been able to fix the problem? I am experiencing the exact same issue with my GE electric dryer. My dryer is only about 2 years old but the start switch no longer needs to be turned to start the dryer. With the door closed, all I have to do is turn the timer switch and the dryer will immediately start - it will only fully stop and stay stopped with the door closed when the cycle has finished and the timer switch lands on "OFF." If I open the dryer door in the middle of a cycle it will stop but immediately begins again when the door is shut without having to use the start switch. It's as though the start switch is being held over in the start position but the knob actually seems fine and doesn't actually feel stuck. I think this sounds electrical and that replacing the start switch may cure the problem but I am interested to hear if you were able to fix your problem?
agrahamday  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 14, 2010 12:48:00 PM(UTC)
agrahamday

At least your dryer stayed fully stopped at the end of a cycle! Mine actually stopped only for about 10 minutes or so but then would move on to the next cycle on the dial and on and on until the door was opened.
Interestingly enough, just after writing my last post, for some reason I decided to push the start button on my dryer (which I had not been doing at all because it had not been necessary). Anyway, the dryer began working properly. I didn't realize it until the cycle stopped but did not start again on it's own as usual. I am assuming my start button was somehow stuck. After dealing with the issue for almost a year, I have not had to deal with the issue several weeks. Try pushing the start button a few times!
Susie520  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, April 14, 2010 1:01:39 PM(UTC)
Susie520

Unfortunately I have a turn-style switch and not a push button and I have turned it to the left, away from "Start" and it stays over there in that position normally ... my button doesn't physically appear to be stuck but is definitely not working correctly. I am thinking it is electrical at this point but I greatly appreciate your quick reply!!
magician59  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, April 14, 2010 1:47:12 PM(UTC)
magician59

I couldn't find an exact match to your model number; but it sounds like you have a stuck start button or start relay. Or you have a bad timer.
Susie520  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, April 14, 2010 1:53:20 PM(UTC)
Susie520

Hi thanks for taking a look at this post. My dryer model is: DHDSR46EG0WW and the start switch is WE4M402. The timer seems to be working. When I turn the timer dial it will start the dryer and the full cycle will run with the timer then shutting the dryer off when it completes the full cycle and finds the "OFF" position on the timer dial. The weird thing is that I never have to use the start button anymore and the dryer behaves as though the start button is continuously engaged. The part is about $25 and for a $400 dryer I don't want to spend the money on having a service tech out. Think I should try replacing the start switch?
magician59  
#9 Posted : Thursday, April 15, 2010 6:57:39 AM(UTC)
magician59

For $25, you can't go wrong replacing the switch. Just remember to unplug the machine before doing any work on it.
Susie520  
#10 Posted : Thursday, April 15, 2010 8:18:28 AM(UTC)
Susie520

Thank you! Will do
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply