Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
klshane  
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 21, 2010 9:26:30 PM(UTC)
klshane

Groups: Registered

wed5530 dryer. (whirlpool)

I put a load of clothes in and it will take a couple of hours to dry them. I checked the heating element and it comes on but it looks like only a partially (looking through a mirror while it's mounted, but if I remove the element from the heating tube and turn the dryer on, all of the element glows a bright orange. what would cause this? What else should I be looking for. It heats up, but just takes forever to dry. I was under the impression that the element is either on or off.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

magician59  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 22, 2010 6:26:13 AM(UTC)
magician59

Groups: Senior Expert

Check for things that may impede the air flow. Make sure the vent is clear, from the dryer to the wall vent; and all the way to the outside of the house.
klshane  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 22, 2010 7:17:40 AM(UTC)
klshane

I took the shoot off where the lint screen goes and found no obstruction and flow to the outside is good. I'm still curious as to why that element works differently when it's away from the housing and by it self. Is it a grounding issue that causes this? I'm not thrilled about buying a new heating element if I don't have to.
resprod  
#4 Posted : Monday, March 22, 2010 9:35:45 AM(UTC)
resprod

We had a dryer doing the same thing and found out only when the repair man came that there is a filter that can get clogged. We do not have the same model but check to see if you can take off the front panel and look for a filter. Ours was located on the bottom. The manual did not indicate is either but after it was cleaned and romoved small items that got it clogged it works great.
klshane  
#5 Posted : Monday, March 22, 2010 7:44:29 PM(UTC)
klshane

I had checked the airflow in the dryer and why would you need to check the short distance from the inside to the outside housing with a damper. But... as it turned out, there was a shield that keeps the critters out but in this case it was full of lint. The damper will have to be enough and the shield is gone. I'm actually surprised that much lint was able to by-pass the lint screen. We don't ever run the dryer without the lint screen. Anyway... thanks for the advice. This forum works! This is the second time I've used it with success.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply