Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Egor50  
#1 Posted : Friday, March 19, 2010 5:34:57 PM(UTC)
Egor50

Groups: Registered

Look, I know its old but its been so reliable, we're all so used to it, and besides I believe I can save it! The problem is finding the correct nomenclature. Whew! Believe me I tried. I can find all sorts of basic diagrams but no clear "pinouts" and how they interconnect internally. (What terminals actually contact and when) Ok the Admiral had the standard Emerson motor. PART NO 53-0936 MODEL S58NXKZF-5909 And the bearings are squealing with no load after 5 to 8 min. With drum spinning it shuts down in 5 or less. Now I managed to salvage a GE Whirlpool Model no DVLR223GGWW and that motor is GE 5KH266J116T - 572D676G003 but being this is the salvaged motor I now have no longer access to the data /schematic sheet because its remains are gone. The attached .jpeg shows the 2 side by side. Can you guys help me figure out how to reattach the slip on terminal clips? or a straight forward diagram of the switch? Both switches side by side are very different, or if that fails can I swap switches? Will one work on the other shaft? I can mount it properly if yes? TOP PIX: IS ORIGINAL. LOWER PIX: IS REPLACEMENT HOPEFUL.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Egor50  
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 20, 2010 11:46:22 AM(UTC)
Egor50

On the new motor all of the wires are still in place as they existed. I have 5 wires in the Admiral ADG20L2 to reconnect. I don't understand how this information is always so hard to track down. The throw away society is out of balance. A saved machine is saved resources if you ask me. And I know a new boy is $400...then what? Toss it for for a "broken knob" because they are scarce in 4 years...Scoffs!
sidfink43  
#3 Posted : Saturday, March 20, 2010 4:11:20 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Look, I am in sympathy with what you want to do (amongst other things I do volunteer work for a non-profit where we rehab donated appliances and sell them to support the cause) but I don't think anyone is going to advise you to go ahead with this project for reasons which you are already familiar with.

If I replace a motor with a used one, I use exactly the same model. I suggest that this practice is what you should do.

If you look at the parts diagrams for your model there are two motors listed. I would call APP or whatever other supplier you want to use and see if the lower cost motor will work for you.

Note: We who reply on this site are not associated with the APP parts operations, we are volunteers, so I am not trying to sell you a part. I am only trying to give you good advice.
Egor50  
#4 Posted : Sunday, March 21, 2010 1:44:21 PM(UTC)
Egor50

I sympathize with your position and understand your overly cautious advice. But that motor, lessthe different switch is an EXACT and I mean EXACT replacement, coils, HP all of it. Its the switch! Look I live in Manville NJ, and as you may or may not know we just were flooded out last week. That replacement motor is out of an almost new unit. And it runs as smooth as pouring pudding. Look I would not dare to "guess" it out. This is why I asked for help. As a matter of fact I believe that switch can do exactly what the original switch can, but without the information as to how its connected internally its hopeless. I can try to trace it out with a meter but that has too much uncertainty for me. Now if from your experience you can really tell me that this is a real bad mismatch, honestly...I'll obey. But not having the old service data sticker is my only problem. I've tried "service matters"but don't know the data sheet numbers to request. I think you know exactly what type of schematic I need, "The one that comes with that motor if I bought it!" I'm not a back yard idiot. Please just point me the way? Please? Protect your ass n' point! LOL. Thanks Ed
sidfink43  
#5 Posted : Sunday, March 21, 2010 3:24:36 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Hi Ed

I am sure you are a competent technical person. I did not give you the advice I gave because I was concerned about potential liability. I gave you that advice because that was the best and only advice I would give. Maybe someone else who replies on this Forum will tell you to switch them out, but until you get someone who will support that idea and provide you with the wiring diagrams to make the change out, I suggest you accept the answer you were given, even if it is not the answer you wanted.

I do not have access to the wiring diagram for this machine, and Maytag's tech site does not acknowledge the model. We don't get tech info on the internal wiring of a motor because we don't fix them, we replace them.

You say the motors are identical, but they sure don't look identical. As I indicated earlier, APP lists what appears to be two separate motors for this model, and even they look the same. Which one do you have? The fact that you apparently salvaged the replacement motor from a flood and that you call it a GE-Whirlpool (???) and the fact that the part number does not come up does not fill me with a whole lot of confidence.

I cannot conceive of any reputable service tech coming to your house and proposing to do what you propose to do. There is a reason for that, the same reason why you wont "dare guess it out". Dryers are rather simple devices but we are talking about high voltage and high amperage and high temperature.

I believe your motivation is more towards conservation than saving money, I mean, we are not talking thousands or even hundreds here. If your motor part number is correct APP lists a replacement at $113 with no sales tax plus a few bucks for shipping. If you don't like APP you can buy it someplace else for more.

I cannot say that this is a mismatch, but the point is that I cannot say this is a good match, and lacking that, the conclusion is that you have an old machine that has given you good service. Fix it right or let it retire in peace.
Egor50  
#6 Posted : Sunday, March 21, 2010 6:16:55 PM(UTC)
Egor50

Ya but that is exactly why I am frustrated. Not so much that it can't work, but the fact that the correct info is always getting harder, and harder to access. I can't even make an informed decision and that is a consumer service sin to me. And I believe I meant identical in "spec" as well as physical fit. The coils have the same resistance, and configuration on the power side. So fit, HP, Speed, all concur. And I said I believed that the replacement switch probably is capable of the same function as what its replacing. Except for configuration differences. I am a bit more of a junkyard warrior. And even though you lack confidence in the motors origins I believe my tests. But, that said I share your lack of confidance but only because of lack of spec. You see...we don't know what that switch will do, and guess what? WE SHOULD BE ABLE TO FIND OUT! Anyway after this its probably going to be a new one after all. My girlfriend will win out because she's conditioned to give up and spend. And now a perfectly serviceable appliance will be tossed as worthless. Multiply that by oh...lets say 20 megapersons per year and you'll see the future looking pretty bleak for the third and fourth generations away. GUILTY AS CHARGED!
Egor50  
#7 Posted : Sunday, March 21, 2010 6:38:02 PM(UTC)
Egor50

Part number don't come up is right! And thats my point!! You see the numbers on the picture right? You believe your eyes? And I supplied the GE Model number of the dryer as DVLR223GGWW (I didn't pick the model no out of a hat) Go and enter em with GE/Whirlpool Dude trust me I read the forums and I can only say in my defense is "its the part number don't come up" what got me to you in the first place. No part number on the switch either! So if only that went bad you'd have to toss the whole motor right? I'm mad at the state of loss of freedom to repair...almost anything today! Look I'm sorry. I'm just gonna go an try to bite my eyball out of frustration and lack of recourse! I could have fixed it!! ARRRRGGGGGGH!
Egor50  
#8 Posted : Monday, March 22, 2010 11:59:18 AM(UTC)
Egor50

Ok you know I refused to be stymied. It won't matter now but am going to do a substitution on principle, just out of curisoty. And the machine I salvaged was only tossed out of fear. Thats why I salvaged it! 2 inches of water does not a dryer destroy. AndFYI that machine said GE Whirlpool as clear as day. Yet, Whirlpool has no records...but GE do! Yes sir! (Maytag/Admiral is the one being repaired) I really thought if you guys rehab appliances you'd probably already know what I needed. And I know that its a electrical mess out there but still...I know you understand. No reply needed. And sincere Thanks. ED GE 3Asm14D2K1 centrifugal switch By the by...
Egor50  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, March 23, 2010 10:53:06 AM(UTC)
Egor50

Well guess what? In Manville there is a S H Seidberg appliance repair. (Mostly used sales) Anyway I figured I'd ask him. Hetakes one look and goes off, comes back with a whole motor, blower cage, and belt tensioner, all on the removable plate that slides in place. $65.00 But the interesting thing was the motor...it was the same design and make of the replacement I wanted to substitute! But with its own switch of yet another configuration. So all is done safely and I donated the salvaged motor to them as fully useable. I really admire what you guys do online for people. What state are you in? You know the more I think about what you guys do the more I see the types of problems you must have correlating information to provide it when you can. It must be an interesting process. Are you a shop? or an office? or a Joe Franklin's office mess?
sidfink43  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, March 23, 2010 4:47:26 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

That's great, glad you got something that worked out.

We are all over the country, volunteers who try to solve a problem with limited info and without being able to see what the problem is. It is interesting and challenging and problems like yours help hone our skills.

Good luck, thanks for the update
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply