Discuss

Can't get belt back on idler pulley

in

Dryer Repair

. "

I replaced the idler pulley on my maytag dryer but I no matter what I do I can't get the

..."

Register | FAQ's | New Posts | Today's Posts | Extras
Appliance Repair Forum > Appliance Repair Help > Dryer Repair » Can't get belt back on idler pulley

Post New Thread  Reply By reading any content on this site you agree to AppliancePartsPros.com, Inc. disclaimer and Terms of Use.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-27-2008, 01:50 PM

MCNorris is on a distinguished road
Default Can't get belt back on idler pulley
Brand: Maytag   Age: 5 - 10 years   

Appliance Parts from AppliancePartPros.com

I replaced the idler pulley on my maytag dryer but I no matter what I do I can't get the belt back on, the diagrams I have seen show the pulley in a position that it will not go, the pulley will not go under the drive pulley, when I bend the arm the idler goes into the drive pulley, this is my first time doing this so I have no clue what is wrong, thanks

I did the best I could on the pictures, I had to just shove the camera back there and blindly take them.

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/l...1/100_1222.jpg
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/l...1/100_1233.jpg
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/l...1/100_1234.jpg
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/l...1/100_1238.jpg

See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Old 05-28-2008, 01:39 PM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

Gene has a brilliant futureGene has a brilliant future

Place the belt onto the outside of the tumbler and position the belt 11/2" in front of rear baffle mounting screws with the ribbed side against the tumbler.

Position the tumbler into the rear felt seal, resting the tumbler onto the rear rollers. Lower the front of the tumbler onto the blower housing.

Sit or kneel near the front of the dryer. Insert the left hand along side of the tumbler at 8 o'clock. Insert the right arm under the tumbler (as close to the blower as possible).

Locate the belt and create a small loop with your right hand, ensuring the belt is free of twist.

Position the open end of the loop (ribbed side down) onto the motor pulley with your right hand.

To clear the drive belt, grasp the idler pulley in left hand, pull idler upward and to the left.

Relax your left hand and allow the idler pulley to rest down onto the belt.

Grasp baffles with both hands and rotate the tumbler 1 or 2 turns CW to allow the belt to align itself.

Gene.

Order Appliance Parts with 365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy - AppliancePartsPros.com
Old 05-29-2008, 06:49 PM

jweglewski is on a distinguished road
Default Newer Maytags Tricky

Gene's advice is RIGHT ON...when I first read his description, I thought he was going into too many specifics and it seemed hard to follow. However, when I tried it, he was right. What actually tripped me up (before I read Gene's advice) was that all the internet diagrams show an older pully/motor arrangement. If you follow Gene's advice, I have attached a diagram that may help clarify what the end arrangment needs to look like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Slide1.JPG (9.6 KB, 82 views)
Old 02-14-2009, 01:46 PM

RAiello is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Bearing - i; Noisey Dryer Operation

A buddy of mine got me to the site because I was having noise issues with our Maytag Atlantis Dryer. I suspected the bearings at the back of the unit on the tumbler, but I think it's the bearing associated with the belt and the motor. As a first step, I'm applying WD-40 to the inside of the Bearing - i. I also felt helpless when I tried to re-install the belt. Gene, THANK YOU! It took me 2 or 3 tries. A picture would help. The diagram attached on the previous post was still slightly different than what I was up against.
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.