Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
That guy from Florida  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 10, 2010 5:00:13 PM(UTC)
That guy from Florida

Groups: Registered

Dryer is about 1.5 y/o

Cleaned the lint trap before I put a load on.
Cleaned the vent about a month and a half ago.

Load was about 1 minute in when I noticed smoke coming from the bottom of the app. (electrical)
I unplugged and tipped the dryer back to access the flames with water.
Fire is now out.
No obvious cause until I remove the back cover and discover that the inside is coated with lint.
I cleaned the trap after every use and this is STILL what happens.
The manufacturers warranty has expired and I see no recourse of action to get this fixed except to pay through the nose.
WTF can I do now?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 11, 2010 3:15:37 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

I am sorry to hear about this, but in one way you are very fortunate not to have your entire residence burn to the ground.

These dryers have a number of built in safety features that cause the dryer to shut down either the heating element or the entire dryer when lint build up causes an increase in temperature sufficient to start a fire. Obviously these did not work in you case.

I understand the dryer is out of warranty but I would still talk to Sears about it and also investigate you optons with both federal and state consumer product safety agencies. If nothing else it is important that they know this occurred so they can keep track of it in their data bank of these types of problems.

I strongly urge you to replace rather than attempt to have the dryer fixed. Fire can damage wiring and lead to a severe problem down the road.

Hope this helps.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply