Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
B.Stagner  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 8, 2010 10:01:34 AM(UTC)
B.Stagner

Groups: Registered

I'm trying to fix my moms friend dryer, it has poor heating and takes 2-3 cycles to dry a load, I check the ventalation coming out with the dryer running, it was very strong, i checked for any lint clogs and with this dryer in a senior livving apartment complex that has 4 stories and she lives on the 2 floor, i really don't have a way to check for outside venting, i went to the upper floors above hers and asked if they had any problems with dryer venting and they all said no. So i checked the heat element without disconnecting any leads(i think i should of disconnected both leads) and ohmed it out and i had 9.4 reading, but when i had the element out, i noticed that some places on the heat shield were very dark but other places they clean. Could this be a element slowly fading away or a thermostat problem. The dryer starts off with very hot air but then fades away. Any suggestions?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 8, 2010 12:21:52 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

I assume this is happening in all cycles.

Well this sounds like a thermostat problem, but there are other possibilities.

I would try to "snake" out the vent leading from the dryer to the outside, not that I think this is your problem but it is a good idea to do this and you can then eliminate that as an issue.

Your test on the heating element sounds right, but disconnect one lead and re test and do a thorough examination of the element. Many times tiny breaks are present but unseen, and it may be that when the heating element heats up the break opens up and stops the element from continuing to heat.

I would then go ahead and replace the operating thermostat, this part here

Part number: AP3131939
Part number: AP3131939

since the most likely type of problem you have is the thermostat starting in the closed position, then opening and staying open, or a problem with the bias heater on the thermostat. The problem is that there is no good way to test for this so replacing it is your main test. Fortunately it is not expensive.

If this does not solve the problem, I would go with replacing the element next, and then replacing the timer.

I know this sounds like replacing parts blindly but your problem does not really lend itself to a good diagnosis because of the intermittent nature of the problem.

Good luck, let us know what you find out.
bizkid23  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 8, 2010 1:29:16 PM(UTC)
bizkid23

Groups: Expert

The first two things I do in this situation are as follows:

1) Observe the lint filter. Sometimes residue from fabric softener or even rust can put a film on the screen that restricts airflow. It will look stopped up.

2) Disconnect the exhaust vent and try to dry a load of clothes. If they dry correctly you have an airflow problem and I'd call maintenence to check the vent. In our state the ordinaces call for no more than 25 feet of dryer vent with each turn counting as 5 foot. If you compress the vent at all by pushing the dryer too far back it restricts airflow as well.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply