Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
sky_wife  
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 28, 2010 11:53:35 AM(UTC)
sky_wife

Groups: Registered

I'm having a problem with my dryer getting hot but it seems not hot enough to dry the clothes. If I run it for two or three cycles the clothes will finally get dry. The heating element is good. I am guessing it is a cycling thermostat but just not sure. I am thinking this dryer has three thermostats and have found two of them but not sure were the other is. Is there a way I can test the thermostat to see if it is ok? Any help would greatly be appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 1, 2010 1:11:36 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for WHIRLPOOL REX5634KQ1 | AppliancePartsPros.com

Here is the wiring diagram
http://www.servicematters.com/docs/wiring/Wiring%20Sheet%20-%208528187.pdf

I am assuming from your description that you are getting some heat but the unit is cycling too often.

[COLOR="Blue"]I'm having a problem with my dryer getting hot but it seems not hot enough to dry the clothes. If I run it for two or three cycles the clothes will finally get dry.[/COLOR]
The most common cause of this is a clogged vent system so I would try the following first. Also clean/check the blower wheel.
Undo the dryer from the exhaust
Run a load
If the load dries correctly then you have a vent problem.
Clean/check the vent system. Make sure the outside louvers open fully.
If you do not want lint in the house.
Take a pair of pantyhose, put one leg into the other and attach this to the dryer exhaust.
Leave enough room behind the dryer so it can blow out like a windsock.
Run a load.

Both the above will allow you to check the air flow and temp.
Also the above is NOT recommended for a gas dryer due to possible carbon monoxide problems.
[COLOR="Blue"]
The heating element is good.[/COLOR]
How do you know this, did you measure it with a meter?
Sometimes an element will ground and cause low heat.
Check the heating coil.
Unplug the unit and both wires to the coil.
Check it with a meter, should be around 10 ohms.
Then check from each side of the coil to the case/frame, both should be infinite ohms (open). If not the coil may have sagged or broken and is touching the case (grounded).

[COLOR="Blue"]I am guessing it is a cycling thermostat but just not sure. I am thinking this dryer has three thermostats and have found two of them but not sure were the other is.[/COLOR]
The hi-limit thermostat and the heater's thermal cutoff (fuse) are on the heater assembly. The operating thermostat and the motor's thermal fuse are on the blower assembly. See Section 3.

[COLOR="Blue"]Is there a way I can test the thermostat to see if it is ok?[/COLOR]
The normal way for them to blow is either their contacts weld together or the blow open. There is really not a reliable way to check at what temperature they are opening.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
sky_wife  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 3, 2010 4:55:49 PM(UTC)
sky_wife

Groups: Registered

Thanks for your help. I cleaned all the vent system as well as the blower wheel. We first thought the problem was with the heating element so we had already replaced it, only to have the same problem. Went back in and cleaned around the thermostat and thermal fuse, etc. Tried drying again and it worked good. Wondering if my cleaning making sure the connections were good corrected the problem or is something really going out and my moving it caused it to work?
denman  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 4, 2010 1:22:23 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
[COLOR="Blue"]Wondering if my cleaning making sure the connections were good corrected the problem or is something really going out and my moving it caused it to work?[/COLOR]

Cannot say why it started up OK.
In any case you will have to wait and see if it fails again.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply