Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kolohe  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 14, 2008 11:20:55 AM(UTC)
kolohe

Groups: Registered

Model # SGDS800MQ0

It is a Kirkland Signature by Whirlpool we bought from costco 4-7 years ago.

History:
I have replaced the Drum Belt 2+ years ago
Converted to PRopane last year
3+ months ago got a new propane tank

Current issue:

- Dryer stopped heating - assumed it was the tank empty. So filled tank. After filling I noticed this tank either all the sudden or always only releases propane when it is connected to a Gas line. With no line you can open the valve and nothing come out. Our old taks were not like this. Could this be a problem?

- Next I replaced the Coils and the Igniter, which was broken (perhaps by me on accident) Still didn't fix the probelm

- Next I replaced the Thermal Fuse and the Flame sensor. Still didn't fix it

I am stuck here, what else could it be?
The Thermostats?
Is the tank bad?
Did I wire them wrong (for got to label wires when removing)

Please help, $100 later and no luck
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

kolohe  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 14, 2008 5:10:45 PM(UTC)
kolohe

Gene  
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 15, 2008 2:55:47 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Does the igniter glow?

Gene.
SublimeMasterJW  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 15, 2008 5:19:39 PM(UTC)
SublimeMasterJW

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Here is how I would do it. Be careful. I would remove the 2 wires going to that flame sensor. I would get the dryer going on cotton cycle. I would touch them 2 wires together and see if that glow bar comes on. I would wait about 3 minutes and then seperate them wires to shut down the ignitor. The gas should ignite then and you can observe it for a moment holding 2 hot wires in your hand and wondering how you are gonna drop one of them and disconnect the dryer without shorting something out and getting blown to kingdom come. It is way better to have the wife or a witness to be around just so they can unplug the dryer for you. When I check one of these dudes in my shop on my appliance lift, I have the cord real close so when the test is over I just shut down the dryer. Trying to do it at home around a bunch of piled up dirty laundry in a hot utility room all alone may tend to be a problem. Be careful. If the appliance regulator is faulty you will not get any flame You say you have replaced the coils and paid the gas bill. So the regulator is what I am leaning towards. If the regulator is ok and the assembly works with this test then you have either a faulty thermstat like you pictured or it is in the timer itself. As far as the new fangled tank, have you got a grill tank you can hook up to the dryer to prove your theory? Just a thought.
kolohe  
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 15, 2008 9:56:36 PM(UTC)
kolohe

Hi Guys, thanks for the replys.

Gene: Nope the Ignitor does not glow.

Sublime: I have hot wired the flame sensor and thermo fuse wires together and no Glow. I did that before replacing them hoping that was the problem. The only thing I can think to even get a glow is the Thermostat but since there is 4 wires going to it I am unsure how to test it. Any ideas on that?

I am assuming that even if it is the gas line/tank/regulator there should still be a glow coming from the ignitor correct?
SublimeMasterJW  
#6 Posted : Friday, May 16, 2008 6:18:27 AM(UTC)
SublimeMasterJW

Their are 2 small wires and 2 large wires. The smaller wires have nothing to do with the heat other than they change the value of the klixon by heating it up slightly to make it shut down faster. So the 2 large wires should always have continuity. Even when brand new it is hard to get any kind of ohm reading out of the 2 small terminals. Like I said the small wires power up a tiny heater inside the thermodisk so that it will shut down faster for permanent press or delicate. If you think that thermostat is bad jumper the 2 large terminals and see if that bad boy fires up. Let me ask you this: How many wires go into the gas valve assembly at the quick connection? 2 or 3?
kolohe  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, May 20, 2008 11:32:22 AM(UTC)
kolohe

Thanks for the advice and all your help.

Here is the latest:
I connected the wires that link up the T - stat, hi - limit and thermal cut-off - Model SGDS800MQ0 (PART # 17)

I FINALLY get a glow on the igniter but no fire.
The following parts seem to be working properly:
Thermal fuse (NEW)
Thermostat (ordered but dont think I need it)
FLame sensor (NEW)
Coils (NEW)

Does the dryer need the thermal cut-off kit to start the flame or is there something else wrong? I know this isn't a good solution but since the wires are plastic covered I used my old thermal fuse (which appears to be fine) to jump the t-stat wires. Could direct hot wiring help?

I am ordering the Thermal cut off kit now but want to see what else it could be? lol after replacing every little part I am feeling pretty stupid about now.
Gene  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, May 20, 2008 8:01:52 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Check the gas burner orifice for any clog.

Check if there is gas coming to the gas safety valve.

If these are not an issues then the gas safety valve is a failure suspect.

Gene.
SublimeMasterJW  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, May 21, 2008 5:33:28 AM(UTC)
SublimeMasterJW

If the thermal cutout was jumped and the ignitor came on then replace it and let the dryer go through a cycle. The operator may need to go in motion several times till it starts working depending on how long it has been broken.
kolohe  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, May 21, 2008 10:05:35 AM(UTC)
kolohe

Gene: Which part is the Gas Saftey valve and how do I check to see if gas is coming into it?

Sublime: If I run a cycle with the Thermal Cutout bybassed should the flame ignite? Or does it actually need that part to start the flame? I am still waiting on that part to come in but should it work without it? (glows but no fmae)
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply