Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tomted1  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 14, 2008 9:53:09 AM(UTC)
tomted1

Groups: Registered

I posted on 5/9/08 about my gas dryer humming but the drum belt being in tact, so it was recommended that I look into the motor. Also, there was an issue of the dryer starting (humming) without the start switch having to be used. So, I replaced the motor and it now runs but I still have an issue with it running without having to push the start button. I can stop it with the timer dial or by opening the door but if not it will run as soon as it is plugged in. Also, I'm not getting heat any longer, and was wondering if this might be an issue related to the start switch?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

SublimeMasterJW  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 14, 2008 10:20:06 AM(UTC)
SublimeMasterJW

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Disconnect the power from the dryer.Take one of the wires off of the suspect start switch and make sure it will not short against the cabinet. Reconnect the dryer and see if it starts up on it's own again.
tomted1  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 14, 2008 10:50:58 PM(UTC)
tomted1

Taking either wire off of the start switch and it still starts without the button being pushed. But it runs and it heats but I have a noisy, wobbly drum on putting everything back together. I guess I don't understand how I can get the drum shaft and bearing reclipped and have it wobble. I don't tear these apart like this very often.
SublimeMasterJW  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 15, 2008 4:10:29 AM(UTC)
SublimeMasterJW

You have something wrongly wired on the replacement motor is my guess. Look closely at the motor wires, each one has a number on it. Make sure these numbers match with the numbers on the motor switch. The new motor may work for this dryer, but it may be of a different manufacturing run. Just because it looks like the way the other one hooked up does not mean anything. Make sure the wires are correctly installed on the switch. You put number one wire on terminal 1 on the switch and so on. Depending on the dryer's manufacture run the motor may have letters instead of numbers and wires may have letters too. If so put wire A to terminal A Look closely and be sure it is wired right.
tomted1  
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 15, 2008 7:23:05 AM(UTC)
tomted1

The switch symptom that I described began at the same time the motor started humming but before I changed it out. I can live with it since I have the door and the timer to turn it off.

Why do you suspect the wobbly drum on my repair? I changed out the slides, too, but I was easily able to circlip the drum shaft. Did I break the plastic bearing possibly?
SublimeMasterJW  
#6 Posted : Thursday, May 15, 2008 1:21:30 PM(UTC)
SublimeMasterJW

Their could be a posibilty of heater failure. I would get the drum out and inspect the parts before the drum falls into the heater and causes a short. It may be that what's making the dryer come on like that. I would check it out. The dryer ain't supposed to turn itself on like that.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply