Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bgredd2000  
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 10, 2008 4:55:37 AM(UTC)
bgredd2000

Groups: Registered

I have a 1978 Whirlpool gas dryer with five temperature settings and three drying cycles.

The problem is that the burner does not consistently light. Here is what it does: The dryer starts, the igniter rod glows and the gas valve turns on and initially lights the flame. This will happen for a few cycles and then the gas valve will not kick on. I have replaced the igniter sensor switch on the outside of the combustion chamber funnel and the igniter cycles like it suppose to (glows bright orange every couple minutes) but the gas valve is not tripping on.

The only other thing that I found was a wad of lint and tissue wrapped around the thermocouple in the exhaust - that has been cleared out.

The dryer is in otherwise excellent condition - seals on the drum and the drive belt were replaced a couple of years ago. I would really like to keep the thing running.

Any ideas?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Saturday, May 10, 2008 4:47:01 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Most likely the problem is a bad coils on the gas valve.

- The part number for the coil kit is AP2150379

Gene.
SublimeMasterJW  
#3 Posted : Saturday, May 10, 2008 6:34:00 PM(UTC)
SublimeMasterJW

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
these dudes will work once and not any more for a while then work once and quit again. Like my son in law
SublimeMasterJW attached the following image(s):
dryer coil kit.jpg
bgredd2000  
#4 Posted : Sunday, May 11, 2008 11:01:49 AM(UTC)
bgredd2000

It was a coil. I was testing the coils and found one that was intermitent.....would lose continuity when I wiggled the wires.

Gene - Unfortunately I could not use the part you specified because I have the old style 3-part solenoid assembly. :mad: Luckily I found a place that can send me one - though it is much more expensive.

Thanks for your help!;)

Dick D.
Gene  
#5 Posted : Sunday, May 11, 2008 3:48:11 PM(UTC)
Gene

Dick,

The model number you posted leads to the electric dryer and not the gas, so I gave you the part number for most common coil kit. If you can post the right model number, I probably can find this part in the APP data base with better price.

Gene.
bgredd2000  
#6 Posted : Sunday, May 11, 2008 6:46:40 PM(UTC)
bgredd2000

Gene -

The origianl model number posted was off the first page of the generic manual that I had in my files. The actual model number on the machine is LHI-7501NO.

This correct model number has not worked on any of the site that I've tried - the sites direct me to a different model number (LHI-7501WO) that shows the wrong gas valve.

Would be very interested if you can find the correct parts list.

Dick D.
Gene  
#7 Posted : Monday, May 12, 2008 5:12:39 PM(UTC)
Gene

Hi Dick,

The letters "W" & "H" in the model number is just a color identifiers. "W" - white and "N" - almond.

According to the information I found Whirlpool redesigned the gas valve for this dryer together with new style of coil due to safety issue., what means you have to replace the whole gas valve & burner assembly.

- The part number for the gas valve & burner assembly is AP3094285

Here are the break down diagrams for the Whirlpool dryer Model LHI7501W0

Gene.
P.S. Because of price for the part your decision should be based on the condition of the dryer.
bgredd2000  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, May 13, 2008 3:15:22 AM(UTC)
bgredd2000

Gene - Thanks for the additional information - that's not the kind of information that a person is going to find just anywhere.

Not sure what I'm going to do - the price tag is giving me pause. It may be time to bite the bullet and retire the unit.

I appreciate all your help in diagnosing the problem.

Best Regards,

Dick D.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply