Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Joepre  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 10, 2010 12:56:11 PM(UTC)
Joepre

Groups: Registered

I have a Kitchen Aid dryer that squeals under load. Looked through the posts and didn't see anything specific to this model but I am presuming the noise is from the belt or pulleys. Before I buy the new belt and pulley and wheels, is there anything else I should consider? I can get it to go away temporarily if I rock the unit.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 11, 2010 5:20:40 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Replace the rollers, belt and pulley, clean everything out and you should be good to go.
Joepre  
#3 Posted : Friday, February 12, 2010 6:55:17 AM(UTC)
Joepre

Great, thanks for your help. Just wanted to be sure there wasn't a bearing or something else back there that needed consideration as well. Which drawing should I use to show the belt direction and pulley? Is there any specific instructions I need or just R&R?
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Friday, February 12, 2010 7:06:15 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Assuming you know how to get into it (take out filter, take out screws under filter lid, flip up top by inserting screw driver at edges between top and front, take off front, release belt, take out drum) then it will be obvious how to replace the items.

No special tools needed, just a little time and patience (having a helper is good to, someone you can boss around)
Joepre  
#5 Posted : Friday, February 12, 2010 11:35:32 AM(UTC)
Joepre

Thanks again. Usually it's me that gets bossed around and usually from those under 10 in my house, but I digress....
I appreciate your help
Joepre  
#6 Posted : Saturday, February 20, 2010 1:32:03 PM(UTC)
Joepre

OK, so I changed the belt, idler wheel, and the 2 wheels in back. It worked for a short period of time and now will not run under a load. For example, if I add a bunch of wet towels, it will not run and makes a loud humm then shuts off. If I add a couple of towels at a time, it will run but it is making a loud noise as it is running. I am suspecting the motor is going. Is there anything else I should check before replacing the motor? It will run with a full load of wet towels but I have to add them a few at a time.
sidfink43  
#7 Posted : Saturday, February 20, 2010 4:07:02 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

A lot of times the belt will come off and slip off the pulley and jam things up. I would open it up again and check the belt. See if the drum will turn freely in each direction if you do it by hand.

If you were not having trouble with your motor before it is possible but unlikely that is the problem now. More likely the belt is hung up, or the drum came off the rollers or something like that.

Good luck, Let us know what you find out.
Joepre  
#8 Posted : Sunday, February 21, 2010 1:07:30 PM(UTC)
Joepre

I checked the belt and pulley and wheels. They are all fine. I was able to turn the drum one direction, but it would not go the opposite way. I pulled out the drum and ran the motor by itself. It makes a loud noise when it starts but it runs. I also pulled off the back panel and looked at the fan. There was lots of lint and junk in there. I cleaned it all out but it still makes the same sound as it turns on and is loud as it runs. I am figuring it is the motor. How does one remove the fan from the back to remove the motor?
sidfink43  
#9 Posted : Sunday, February 21, 2010 1:25:14 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

This manual will take you through the process of removing the blower and motor.

https://secured.whirlpoo...a006cb80a/$FILE/L-58.pdf
Joepre  
#10 Posted : Sunday, February 21, 2010 1:33:00 PM(UTC)
Joepre

OK, thanks. I will let you know how I make out
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply