Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Raygun  
#1 Posted : Friday, February 5, 2010 12:19:08 PM(UTC)
Raygun

Groups: Registered

Here's a quick review of how I have not yet fixed my dryer.

Whirlpool dryer, stopped heating. Hasn't really stopped at the end of a cycle in a year, but still dried the clothes so I could live with that. I did some online research, found what looked to be a decent site, good info about what things commonly failed and the order to check them.

First, checked the thermal fuses, in retrospect not sure if I checked them correctly, ordered new thermal fuses (and a belt since I had the dryer tore apart and it was looking a bit frayed.)

Still no heat, my trusty online guide (who shall remain nameless) told me to check the timer, sounded good to me since I had been having cycle issues before the heat issue. I pull out the knob/timer assembly and charred bits of plastic fall out from inside the timer. I felt certain that I had my faulty part now. Ordered new timer, install and still no heat.

I tested everything else I could think at this point, I'm about $175 worth of parts into this dryer that won't dry and I don't want to spend anymore till I'm sure I have the right part. I checked the heater element and thermostat, both read exactly in spec.

To be fair, I have done electronics troubleshooting and repair before, eight years worth in the navy. I'm not a stranger to a multimeter and such. I must have checked the breakers a half dozen times throughout this whole ordeal.

So, I bought another dryer. Not a new new, but a decent used one. I work at a thrift store so it only set me back $50 plus a borrowed truck.

Still no heat.

Today, I found this site and the first step on most lists is to check the breakers and the outlet. The friggin outlet. The breakers are all on, the continuity on the pigtail reads just fine. But between the slots on my 240 outlet read 124v, 100v, and 19.2v...gee I wonder why my dryer won't heat up on 19.2v.

Let me tell ya, I am sick and tired of the laundromat. Before I make any more costly errors, any tips for how to proceed?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Friday, February 5, 2010 1:19:15 PM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Today, I found this site and the first step on most lists is to check the breakers and the outlet. The friggin outlet. The breakers are all on, the continuity on the pigtail reads just fine. But between the slots on my 240 outlet read 124v, 100v, and 19.2v...gee I wonder why my dryer won't heat up on 19.2v.
Only the 124 looks good, if this is one side to Neutral.

Your readings do not make sense.
Need to know what your test points are.
Also is this a 3 wire or a 4 wire hook up.
The 19.2 is probably just ghost voltage.
You need to check L1 to Neutral, L2 to Neutral and L1 to L2.
Unplug/diconnect the dryer when doing this.

I would check the power in the electrical box first as it does sound like a bad breaker or a poor connection in the box.

This may help
http://www.applianceaid.com/electrical_testing_tips.html
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Raygun  
#3 Posted : Saturday, February 6, 2010 9:00:36 AM(UTC)
Raygun

Groups: Registered

Denman,
I used that diagram when checking the outlet, Thanks.

Basically mine is an upside down version o the diagram. Also, rather than have the nuetral socket a l shape, all mine are straight bladed.

So, between the top (assumed nuetral) and the lower left socket is where I get 19.2v. Between the two lower sockets I get 100v, and finally between the top and lower right socket I get 124v.
denman  
#4 Posted : Saturday, February 6, 2010 11:10:35 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
There is a problem with your house electrical.

Best to get an electrician in unless you have electrical experience.
Fault could be in the receptacle itself, wire from the panel to the receptacle or in the electrical panel
Looks like you have lost one side of the line.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply