Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Repair Lady  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 27, 2010 9:03:57 AM(UTC)
Repair Lady

Groups: Registered

Appliance: Sears Kenmore Dryer
Model Number: 110.67902790 67902
Type Number: 138-00
Serial No: MG2207982

Problems: Dryer Heats but Shuts Off

WHICH THERMOSTAT DO I NEED?

Detail of Problem:

Four weeks ago my dryer had smoke that filled the laundry room and the clothes were very hot. The clothes inside the dryer had a smokey smell. I did not try it again until the next day. It worked for 20 minutes the next day and then shut off with time left on the timer switch.

Yesterday it begin to shut off (after heating up after only running 5 minutes. The towels in the dryer were just warm, not hot. I had set the timer at 50 minutes. When it stopped, it was at 40 minutes. I tried it 4 more times and it started and ran and heated for 5 minutes. The 5th time I tried it, it only buzzed when I hit the power button and did not start. If I wait until the dryer is totally cool, it will start again and heat, but only run for five minutes (still with minutes left on the time).

I called the representative for AppliancePartsPros.com who suggested that I post the problem on this site. He indicated that there were 3 thermostats, 2 of which are sold together as a kit. Because money is very tight, I would appreciate your identifying the correct thermostat so that I do not buy the wrong part.

The parts that he indicated could be the problem are as follows:

AP3094224 – KIT – Thermostat Cut off & High Element Thermostat (fixed on the heater)
AP3131939 – Adjustable Cycling Thermostat (which is close to the drum)

Also, because I am a female who does my own repairs, I would appreciate if anyone knows if there is a drawing showing the part locations, and hopefully directions of how to get to it.

Thanking you in Advance for Your Assistance,

Repair Lady
parrotfriends@gmail.com
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 27, 2010 4:12:03 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Hi Repair Lady

First of all I do not believe these thermostats are your problem. These thermostats are thermally driven, and shut down the heating element but not the dryer itself. When they fail they do not reset which is why you would have to replace them if they were defective.

I think what happened is that you have had a fire in your dryer, probably from lint build up in the cabinet. This probably damaged your motor, which now overheats causing the thermal protection device built into it to shut it down. When it cools it will operate again.

My position is that after a dryer fire the proper course of action is to replace it. I understand money is tight, it sure is with us but to continue to use it invites a house fire, and money will be a much bigger problem if that happens, even with insurance.

In my opinion it is simply not safe to continue to operate this dryer or to attempt a repair. In our area you can purchase a good used dryer for around $100 to $125 about the same as a new motor and that is what I suggest you do.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply