Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Joe Lyden  
#1 Posted : Friday, January 22, 2010 3:06:36 PM(UTC)
Joe Lyden

Groups: Registered

Dryer gets warm but not warm enough to dry clothes quicker than over an hour.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Sunday, January 24, 2010 6:36:19 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Sounds like your heating element is the problem. The heating element gets brittle after all those years of service and can weaken or break or short out against the frame.

Check it out.
Joe Lyden  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 25, 2010 5:23:30 AM(UTC)
Joe Lyden

Originally Posted by: sidfink43 Go to Quoted Post
Sounds like your heating element is the problem. The heating element gets brittle after all those years of service and can weaken or break or short out against the frame.

Check it out.

Wanted you to know that I do get some heat but not too much. I was told that if there was some heat then the element must be working. Is that true?
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Monday, January 25, 2010 5:42:28 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Low heat can be caused by a number of problems. If the element is weak or partially shorted that can be a problem, and I suggested you check it first because it is easy to do and if it is not the problem you can rule it out. Our objective here is to not spend money until you have to.

It may be that your airflow is blocked, but in that case your heat inside the dryer would be very high and the cabinet would get very hot and that does not sound like what you have.

If your heatng element is ok, your operating thermostat may be a problem in that it is shutting off too quicky, but to test that you will need to replace it. There can also be a problem in your timer or heat selection switch. Try different cycles and see if the problem is consistent.

If you need more info let us know the results of doing the above, and check your model number as I cannot get it to come up and thus limited in what I can advise.
Joe Lyden  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 26, 2010 6:32:27 AM(UTC)
Joe Lyden

Originally Posted by: sidfink43 Go to Quoted Post
Low heat can be caused by a number of problems. If the element is weak or partially shorted that can be a problem, and I suggested you check it first because it is easy to do and if it is not the problem you can rule it out. Our objective here is to not spend money until you have to.

It may be that your airflow is blocked, but in that case your heat inside the dryer would be very high and the cabinet would get very hot and that does not sound like what you have.

If your heatng element is ok, your operating thermostat may be a problem in that it is shutting off too quicky, but to test that you will need to replace it. There can also be a problem in your timer or heat selection switch. Try different cycles and see if the problem is consistent.

If you need more info let us know the results of doing the above, and check your model number as I cannot get it to come up and thus limited in what I can advise.

I will check those things. Thank you for the guidance. It has been very helpful.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply