Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jazzyj  
#1 Posted : Sunday, January 17, 2010 6:10:47 PM(UTC)
jazzyj

Groups: Registered

I have a Maytag Atlantis model MDG8600AWW that is experiencing some intermittent heat issues.

I have tried troubleshooting using clues from this forum, as well as, other places online. At first, I thought it was my timer control as only in certain places on the dial would prompt a heat cycle. Then it did not cycle anywhere on the dial. Then it it cycled for a short while in all the right places on the dial. ???

Using a volt meter, I heard the audible chirp when checking for continuity (closed circuit) on the high limit thermostat, radiant sensor, thermal fuse, and both cycling thermostats. The ignitor/glow plug showed a 66 ohm/0.41 v reading without chirp.

The holding & boosting coil was 1+2 2059 ohm, 2+3 1467 ohm, 1+3 592 ohm without chirp. The secondary coil was 1+2 1270 ohm without chirp. Both readings taken just after the dryer was running for a couple of minutes.

If I am lucky, then I get to see the heat cycling process ie. drum turns, ignitor glows red, gas flame lighted, ignitor starts getting partially black and tip remains red, flames stays lit for 20-30 seconds max then cuts out. If I continue to stay lucky, then the heat cycle repeats every couple of minutes - again the flame remains on for not more than 20-30 seconds.

Just when I think every is in good order, I put eveything back together and put a test laundry load in there. After 5-8 mintes, I check back to find the drum is cool to cold. According to the Maytag manual, this is calling for the coils and/or the radiant sensor to be replaced. However, I am not sure as I am possibly not checking things correctly.

The Maytag manual also points to the intelli sensor bar. I cleaned it with alcohol - no difference. I checked for continuity with volt meter and got the chirp on each strip. The timer does move.

Any guidance would be humbly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.