Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MarkNCait09  
#1 Posted : Sunday, January 3, 2010 7:43:32 AM(UTC)
MarkNCait09

Groups: Registered

Hello,

I have been using my dryer for around 12 years without any noticable problems. About a week ago, however, when I tried to dry a load of laundry(by pressing the "start" button), the dryer would simply not turn on. It was absolutely dead. No struggling start up sounds, the drum did not turn; nothing. I'm not especially familiar with the inner workings of a dryer, so I haven't been able to do any sort of trouble shooting. However, it would seem that there could be a few possibilities:
1.) I need a new start button/switch.
2.) There is a bad power connection.
3.) There is a problem with my outlet (probably not the case, but possible)
4.) The motor died.
5.) other?

Again, the dryer is absolutely unresponsive when I press start regardless of what setting the dryer is set to. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated along with a new model suggestion if I need to buy a new one. Thank you in advance for your time.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

MarcC  
#2 Posted : Sunday, January 3, 2010 11:49:17 AM(UTC)
MarcC

This happened to me 3 months ago and I am finally getting to a resolution by working the dryer over in the last 2 days-welcoming the New Year.
I had checked the breaker but the dryer runs the motor on only 120VAC so on your breaker panel you will see 2 breakers tied together. In my case only one had tripped but I did not turn both off and reset. Turn both off and on twice for good measure. Then try to start the dryer with no clothes in timed dry (10 min is fine). If it starts then all your components are working. There should be a wiring schematic inside the control console. I think my motor is weak but not yet failed. Yours may be in the same situation. Do you have a multimeter to check resistance of components?
MarkNCait09  
#3 Posted : Sunday, January 3, 2010 12:11:57 PM(UTC)
MarkNCait09

Hi Marc,

Thanks for the reply. I have tried flipping the breakers, but to no avail. I'll double check to make sure they both flipped. I do have access to a multimeter, but I'm not really sure where to begin... I'm familiar with schematics, but I'm not sure where the control panel is. Could you direct me? Thank you.
MarcC  
#4 Posted : Sunday, January 3, 2010 1:32:18 PM(UTC)
MarcC

I looked for a schematic for your dryer but found none. I am not a service tech just an experienced DIY that never gives up.
My basic procedure would be to check circuit segments until you find the culprit. Since this happened suddenly without any obvious signs of damage (yet) or malperformance it is probably an electrical component as you suspected. Since it will not start if you put it in timer dry do you hear the timer motor running? and does the light come on in the drum? The control panel exploded parts diagram and parts list is available on this site by clicking on your part number in your post. (I have a Maytag washer of teh same vintage). Since Maytag is owned by Whirlpool now I think they are using the same parts database website. You need to see if you can find your schematic inside the dryer. Remove the top corner screws after you unplug the dryer. Open the control panel front. As I learned on this site, you should be able to trace a closed circuit from the neutral (central pin) to L1 one of the other pins on the AC plug with only a few ohms when you press the start button. IF you are able to do this test you will probably see an open circuit (greater than 1 MOhm or some lower value which may help isolate the problem. You do not even need to open your dryer to do this check first.
On my Whirlpool the circuit trace is neutral blade to door switch to timer switch 4 to drive motor to thermal fuse (on exhaust manifold) to push to start to timer contact 1 to L1 blade. Your path may be different but should have the same elements. If you start at the timer switch and the push to start switch you can probe different directions to N or L1 and you can trace wire colors to lead you to the next component.
Good Luck.
The components that likely failed cost about $10 to $110 so if you are abe to safely do the work you can save yourself some money and clean out and lube your machine at the same time. You do not want to pay a tech to clean your machine.
MarkNCait09  
#5 Posted : Sunday, January 3, 2010 4:40:07 PM(UTC)
MarkNCait09

Hi Marc,

Thanks for all of your help. I have some good news. I was able to find the control panel and I found the schematics. After that I decided to check the circuit breakers and it turns out that I had the same issue that you mentioned in the first post. Only one breaker had tripped and I had not reset both of them. Once I did reset them, success! I'll be bookmarking this thread in case I have any future problems, but for the time being it looks like I'm back up and running. Thanks again for the help and Happy Holidays!
MarcC  
#6 Posted : Sunday, January 3, 2010 5:00:58 PM(UTC)
MarcC

good for now. What ever tripped the breaker may continue. I suspect the motor coils but I am waiting for definitive help in another post (search 'weak motor'). Mine is also working for now. Good Fortune

Marc
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply