Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Nick Parkin  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 29, 2009 7:40:58 PM(UTC)
Nick Parkin

Groups: Registered

I recently replaced both drum rollers, shafts, thrust washers, lock washers, skid plates and belt as well as thoroughly cleaning all lint from the case, burner tube, vent etc. All was well and the dryer worked like new again, very quiet, for about a week or two, then an annoying screeching noise started, together with a loud hum, which I traced to the motor. I dissembled the motor assembly from the case and on the bench isolated the noise to the motor mounts. There was no excessive play in them, so I thoroughly cleaned everything and sprayed WD40 into the mounts where the motor shaft passes through, which immediately quitened all noises, so I reassembled and tested. The screeching is gone but the humming noise continues and I now have an additional problem that when the dial is pushed to start the dryer, there is a loud buzzing noise from the motor (there is no actual buzzer on this model) and a very labored start, sounding like it is straining to start. If the load is more than VERY light (a half load at best), the buzzing gets very loud and the motor refuses to start at all, accompanied by clicking sounds inside the control panel if the dial is held down. The only way to get the dryer to start with a regular load is to remove the lower panel and manually assist the drum turning while someone holds the dial down. This problem is obviously weight related as a regular load will restart once it is dry. This is a new problem, the load sizes are not excessive. Do I have to replace the motor, the mounts or both or is it something else?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 31, 2009 2:53:07 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

If I read your post correctly, which is difficult because of the small font, your symptoms are the classic sign of motor failure. The solution is to replace the motor.
Nick Parkin  
#3 Posted : Friday, January 1, 2010 11:03:17 AM(UTC)
Nick Parkin

Groups: Registered

Thanks for the reply, one thing bothers me though, I have already shelled out abround $70 in parts to replace the rollers etc, as metioned in my first post. If I spend a further $100+ on a new motor, will that take care of my problem, or am I just opening a money pit? Also, do you know if I also have to get new motor mounts, or does it come with (or can I reuse mine?)
Thanks,
Nick.

Originally Posted by: sidfink43 Go to Quoted Post
If I read your post correctly, which is difficult because of the small font, your symptoms are the classic sign of motor failure. The solution is to replace the motor.
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 1, 2010 11:28:46 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Well, obviously I cannot tell you that this will be the end of your repairs, or even guarantee that the new motor will fix things (that's the tradeoff of using a Forum, you save the expense of a tech visit but incur some risk) and you will have to make the decision about the motor mount (it should be ok) but look at it this way.

1. A Dryer is about as simple an appliance there is. It dries the clothes by circulating heated air in a revolving drum and exhausting the moisture laden air.

2. The motor does all the work. It turns the belt that turns the drum, power the blower that creates the air circulation. You have probably logged over 20,000 hours on the old motor so it is probably time to give it a rest.

3. Your replacement of drum rollers etc is pretty much routine maintenance for a dryer that old. Think of it as putting new tires or brakes on a car.

4. The other major expensive part on your machine is the timer. Who knows when it will fail, if ever. The gas parts may need replacing sometime also, but they are not expensive.

Bottom Line: If you had to pay a repair tech to do this work it would not be economical, but if you like the dryer and do the work yourself you will be spending far less than the cost of a new one. Also, a new one will not be any better than this one, regardless of the hype or ads or anything else they say. It will only look nicer.

My attitude towards a Dryer is you almost never replace it unless it catches on fire. In that case you will be replacing a lot of things.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply