Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Palmettoquilter  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 22, 2009 6:58:50 AM(UTC)
Palmettoquilter

Groups: Registered

Just wanting a heads up for what to test/replace first.....the air is blowing and the drum is turning, but the air is always cold. Just happened 24 hours ago, suddenly.
Would you think it was the thermal fuse? Look at that before the element? Can I test across it with my tester with the light in it, will that tell me anything?
Thanks for any help you can give!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 22, 2009 5:01:30 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
The first thing I would do is check for 240 VAC to dryer. The heating element needs 240 VAC while the motor needs just 120 VAC. Make sure both breakers are On.

You have to have a multimeter. I'm not sure about your tester, I never used a such.

If there is nothing wrong with the voltage, then you have to check for continuity the heating element, the high limit thermostat and the cycling thermostat.

This is definitely not the thermal fuse, because the dryer would not do anything if this fuse is blown.

Gene.
Palmettoquilter  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 22, 2009 9:11:31 PM(UTC)
Palmettoquilter

Groups: Registered

Hi Gene,
Thanks for responding. I found an analog ohmeter and found a spot on the web that instructed me in adjusting it, and using it. On the thermal fuse, the high limit thermostat, and the connection to the heater element, the meter needle swung over to 0 just as it should. On the cycling thermostat, it didn't move. I took it out and matched it to a new one at a parts place in town. Just before installing it, I put the ohmeter on the new one - checked OK. Believe it or not, when I put it on the old one again, it checked out OK!!!! I re-installed it and the dryer blows nice hot air!
What in the world happened?! I'm happy for the new life in the old dryer, but apprehensive it may happen again?
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply