Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
schwann  
#1 Posted : Friday, December 18, 2009 10:51:05 AM(UTC)
schwann

Groups: Registered

Hi,

I have an 11year old dryer. The drum stopped spinning today. Is it worth repairing. Cost of belt plus a service trip etc can be expensive. A new dryer is under $400. Then there is the energy efficiency issue of an old dryer and the cost of my time coordinating the repair. Please advise. http://forum.appliancepartspros...images/smilies/frown.gif
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Sunday, December 20, 2009 6:19:23 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Well, lets see. If you can replace the belt yourself, and you can it will cost about $15.00. Here is the belt

Part number: AP4049271
Part number: AP4049271

And here is the service manual which will show you how to open up the machine and do it. It can be a one person job, but a second person to talk with and hold things will be very helpful.

http://www.servicematters.com/m...ary/docs/RS3200005R2.pdf

A service call plus parts will probably be about $100 - $125, which is still far better than $350-$400 for a basic dryer. If a dryer is otherwise acceptable, repair will almost always be more economical then replacement, even given the cost of your time and the inconvenience. If you get a new one you still have to shop, compare and then coordinate delivery and removal so your time will be consumed no matter what. If you repair it yourself you can do it at your convenience, not someone else's.

As far as efficiency is concerned, your old one is about as good as a new one (I don't think they even give energy star ratings to dryers). The critical thing for efficiency is whether you do the work or you have it done is to thoroughly clean out the dryer when you have it open. Do that and it will last indefinitely.

Confession of Bias: One of my motivations for volunteering to reply on this Forum is that in the U. S. we discard far too many items when a simple repair is all that is needed to indefinitely extend the life of the item. So others may have a different point of view. Anyway, if you do decide to replace, try the $15.00 repair first, you have nothing to lose but a little time and you will gain a nice understanding of how a dryer is put together and how simple they are to repair (don't tell anyone, we like to keep that simplicity thing a secret).

Good luck
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply