Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
raffi383  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 17, 2008 3:08:53 PM(UTC)
raffi383

Groups: Registered

Hopefully final update Tuesday evening: Came home from work and turned on the gas for the dryer. Works great. Coils must have been the problem.

Thanks for the website. It was a lot of help.

Raffi

New info Tuesday morning: While talking about this at work, I realized that I did not turn the gas back on after I changed the coils last night. I had turned it off Sunday when I removed the coils because I didn't know if they were somehow involved in sealing the gas line (better safe than sorry). I'll try again tonight to see if it works and leave an update.

I'm an idiot.

Raffi

My gas dryer doesn't heat up. I read the info in the following post which was very helpful: http://forum.appliancepartspros...aytag-dryer-no-heat.html.

This was an intermittent problem last week but now seems to happen all of the time.

When I turn the dryer on, the igniter glows very brightly. It will stay on for about 13 seconds and then turn off for a minute or so before it cycles again.

I checked the radiant sensor for continuity and it registered less than 1 ohm. I also removed it and held it up to a light bulb. After a few seconds, I felt it cycle and the resistance reading went to an open circuit so I am pretty sure it is not stuck.

I checked the cycling thermostat and it also had a resistance of less than 1 ohm.

Not sure if this dryer has a hi limit thermostat. There isn't one in the combustion cone or extension cone. There is a 4 wire "thing" in the fan housing which I guess could be this sensor. I don't know. Which wires would need to be checked?

I checked the resistance of the coils last night after the dryer had been running for a while (last time it got hot when I turned it on). After the dryer stopped, I checked the clothes and they were still wet. The two wire coil registered 1315 ohms. Over time, the resistance dropped to 1290 ohms.

I also checked the 3 wire coil. The outside terminals registered 566 ohms. With the coil positioned so the terminals were pointing up and the end of the coil nearest the terminals towards me, I got 1364 ohms between the left and center terminals and 1917 ohms between the center and right terminals.

Based on the readings for the 2 wire coil, I purchased new coils today and installed them. The igniter still turns on but the flame doesn't light. The igniter will turn off after the 13 seconds and then recycle after a minute or so.

What do I try next?

Thanks for your help.

Raffi
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.