Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dsmstorm  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 25, 2009 4:04:03 PM(UTC)
dsmstorm

Groups: Registered

Hello. my mom called me up the other day because her dryer was not working. I stopped by with my tools, pulled the front panel and turned the dryer on. I immediatly noticed that the ignitor was not glowing so I deployed my multi-meter, checked the ignitor for continuity and found the part defective. I also tested the high limit thermostat for continuity and it checked out ok. I ran to the parts store, installed the new ignitor, turned the dryer on and this time the ignitor glows red, however there is no flame. Im not sure where else to go from here. Any help is greatly appriciated.

Thanks!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

tommyboy84  
#2 Posted : Thursday, November 26, 2009 9:53:23 AM(UTC)
tommyboy84

The first thing you want to check is your mom's Dryer vent.
It sounds like the most likely problem is the lint blocking the vent system.
Check the blower assembly including the impeller and make certain that it is clean and clear.
The stack-able units are very susceptible to lint problems, you'll probably be
surprised when you take the back panel off, just how much lint is present.

Remember to unplug the unit before working on it.

If after you clean the lint thoroughly and you have the same problem, next check the flame sensor.
The flame sensor actually senses the ignitor's glow and then opens the gas valve which produces the flame.
Unplug the flame sensor with the unit off, it should 0 continuity. Leave the flame sensor unplugged and with the unit plugged in, start the dryer, when the ignitor is glowing, check continuity again on the flame sensor's pigtail, it should give you a reading if it is sensing the ignitor. ( be sure to leave the flame sensor in place)
It has to be in it's location to test.

If the vent and the flame sensor are both good, then the next test is the Hi-Limit sensor.
The Hi-Limit sensor is a safety that 'throws the breaker' internally when the Vent system is overheats.
For instance, should the vent system get blocked with lint. The Hi-Limit sensor does not have a re-set,
they only 'blow' once and they are done. If it did, it must be replaced.
Check continuity, if there is none, it needs to be replaced.

Here is the link for your mom's dryer.

Gas valve replacement parts for MAYTAG LSG7806AAM Stacked Laundry - Gas | AppliancePartsPros.com

The above parts are #17 and #18 in the diagram.
dsmstorm  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 1, 2009 5:22:43 PM(UTC)
dsmstorm

Ok, so I stopped by to check on that dryer this weekend. I checked the dryer vent and it was fairly clean. I had been in there about 4 months prior to repair a defective roller. I checked the hi-limit thermostat #17 on the diagram and it was showing 0 ohms when tested with my multi-meter. I tested the flame sensor as well. When the ignitor comes on and glows red, i can see my multi-meter change values when connected to the flame sensor, it is @ 0 ohms when connected to my meter, so it seems the flame sensor is working properly. The issue that im having is that it seems that there is no natural gas flowing to the ignitor. Anything else I can check here? I wont be able to check it again till saturday. Any help is appriciated.

Thanks!
tommyboy84  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 1, 2009 6:19:37 PM(UTC)
tommyboy84

Hi-Limit Thermostat @ 0 Ohms?

Make certain that the Hi-Limit Thermostat is 0 Ohms.
I suggest,Take it out and bench test it with your meter.
If you still get 0 Ohms, it's good,re-install the Hi-Limit Thermostat.
Flame sensor sounds like it is good.

IS the GAS supply Valve OPEN? Handel pointing the same way as supply line?
...assuming valve is open...
Did it just stop heating all at once? Or was it getting to the point of
having to run the dryer cycle again to get the clothes dry and then
suddenly stop heating?

When the flame sensor is red and calling for gas, try taping the gas valve with the handle of the screwdriver. It sounds like the coils may have failed
on the gas valve. A good tap can temporarily open the valve and Heat. Then you know the coils need replacement.
dsmstorm  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, December 2, 2009 2:38:35 AM(UTC)
dsmstorm

I did check the hi-limit thermostat. It was reading 0 ohms, it has continuity. I did check the supply line, it was turned on. The issue she was having was that it would take 2 or more cycles to dry clothing. It eventually stopped heating all together. I will try what you suggested on saturday. Thanks again!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply