Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JohnO  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 4, 2008 1:21:40 PM(UTC)
JohnO

Groups: Registered

Our dryer will not heat.
I have checked, seemingly, every circuit, switch, heat controls etc. but still no heat.
I have checked for continuity across the heating element, all good.
I just have no idea as to where to go at this point.
Can you help?
JohnO
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

charrie  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 4, 2008 1:37:10 PM(UTC)
charrie

Originally Posted by: JohnO Go to Quoted Post
Our dryer will not heat.
I have checked, seemingly, every circuit, switch, heat controls etc. but still no heat.
I have checked for continuity across the heating element, all good.
I just have no idea as to where to go at this point.
Can you help?
JohnO

You need to check the thermostats individually by putting the two wires togather to by pass the thermostat, then turn dryer on to heating and see if heating starts. If not move on to the next thermostat after hooking the last one back up (process of elimination)
JohnO  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 4, 2008 2:02:20 PM(UTC)
JohnO

I have actually done that to no avail. At this point I can't rmember if I did that for all of the thermostats or not but will do it as soon as I can. One of these is a 4 wire stat. Do you suggest that I connect the wires that are across form each other and test each side independently?
Is it possible to have continuity on the heating element and it still be broken?
abbie  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 4, 2008 3:16:29 PM(UTC)
abbie

Groups: Senior Expert

Try holding the timer knob while the dryer is running in the heat cycle,try moving the knob up and down or side to side. holding it in neither position for a few minutes then open the door and check for heat,if there is heat then replace the timer.
charrie  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 4, 2008 6:52:55 PM(UTC)
charrie

Hi John to answer your questions in order. Dont do: Do you suggest that I connect the wires that are across form each other and test each side independently. and try this: take out the drum & check continuinty on the thermal fuse if none replace. Its usually located on the bottom left side or the top right. Charrie
JohnO  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 5, 2008 4:42:26 AM(UTC)
JohnO

I did try this this morning and still no heat. I have attempted to check every circuit, every switch etc. and verified with wiring diagram. I know I am missing something but for the life of me cannot determine where or what.
Any suggestions at this point are very welcome.
thanks
fyxer  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, March 5, 2008 5:08:02 AM(UTC)
fyxer

You seem to have check all the posssible components that might have failed but the problem remain, i would start over go back to the power source, yes check to make sure you are getting --220VOLTS--the dryer only need 110volts to run the motor, but the element need 220volts to operate, so if you have an old breaker that half can open,or if it is an old house that use the little screw in glass fuse---or the other type of buss fuse--there is usually two of them in a grey box on the wall where you turn off the power going to the dryer--if one of these fuse are bad, the dryer will run but the element will not get hot, good luck and be careful 220volts is dangerous.

Fyxer - Hot Hubs
JohnO  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, March 5, 2008 5:55:45 AM(UTC)
JohnO

OK, here we go. The 220 is good, I verified that first thing.
Now I have the drum out of the dryer, and that has shed new light on the problem(finally).
The connector that attaches to the the motor has a burned connector, the one that leads to the heating element.
My question now is do I need to repace the whole motor assembly or can I just replace the connector on the motor side (it is a brown connector to which the dryer wiring harness connects)
charrie  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, March 5, 2008 9:00:40 AM(UTC)
charrie

Replace the burnt wire and make shure the heating element isn't grounded
JohnO  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, March 5, 2008 11:09:33 AM(UTC)
JohnO

The connection on the Motor side had burned. I don't know if this is a safety feature for the motor or not.
Replacing the motor did the trick.
I really wnat to thank everyone who tried to help as this is the first time I have ever tried anything like this and it worked!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply