|Register | FAQ's | New Posts | Today's Posts | Extras|
Dryer won't start after replacing timer, fuses
Model Number: WED5540SQ0 Brand: Whirlpool Age: More than 10 years
My dryer wouldn't start unless the timer was in certain parts of the cycle, and the dryer was turning off too soon. I could start it again by turning the timer backwards and pushing the start button. Eventually the dryer wouldn't start at all. As a test, I temporarily bypassed the timer. The dryer ran, but I left it running too long and blew a couple of fuses in it...
I installed a refurbished timer and checked that all the wire colors matched the labels on the timer (2 photos attached). The timer motor spins, and the timer seems to reset the push-to-start relay when the timer hits the "off" position, but the dryer isn't starting.
I replaced the following in addition to the timer:
* thermal cutoff (red and RW wires -- at top of intake vent)
* cycling thermostat (red and RW wires -- at bottom of exhaust vent)
* thermal fuse (blue wires -- at bottom of exhaust vent)
I checked the following, and they seem to be operational:
* door switch (light turns off when I depress switch)
* temperature selector (resistance matched specs on wiring diagram)
* push-to-start relay (connection between blue wires closes when button is pushed)
* high-limit thermostat (red and BW wires -- next to heater -- closed at room temperature)
* drive motor (I didn't run it, but it spins okay by hand, and I verified that there is low resistanceat the two places circled in the 3rd attached photo)
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.
powered by AppliancePartsPros.com
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Neptune dryer will not start-fuses and door switch works||Maryland1||Dryer Repair||13||01-23-2015 12:09 AM|
|Dryer making buzzing noise when pushing timer/start button to start dryer?||spunkie269||Dryer Repair||1||12-03-2014 04:47 AM|
|Replacing Dryer Timer||Burford||Dryer Repair||1||09-22-2011 03:07 AM|
|Replacing timer on MayTag Dryer||gpatterson||Dryer Repair||1||03-30-2011 07:44 PM|
|maytag stopped running and won't start back after replacing timer||draroberts||Dryer Repair||1||06-15-2010 08:33 AM|