Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
gfox  
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 21, 2008 5:19:10 PM(UTC)
gfox

Groups: Registered

My Kenmore Dryer won't stop beeping while it is drying. It will not allow me to select any other setting other than cotton, even when I unplug it and plug it back in. The Check Lint Filter light is blinking, but the filter is clean. Everything else works; beeping is just really annoying and I would like to use lower settings. Thanks for any help.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

roycreamer  
#2 Posted : Friday, February 22, 2008 6:54:26 PM(UTC)
roycreamer

Groups: Expert

try unplugging it for a full minute, then plug it back in. electronics sometimes need to be reset.

roy
gfox  
#3 Posted : Friday, February 22, 2008 9:32:29 PM(UTC)
gfox

Thank you so much for your reply. I kept it unplugged overnight. When I plugged it back in this morning, it worked for a minute. It allowed me to select other settings and stopped beeping. However, when I turned it off and went to try it again, it went right back to not working correctly. I called a repairman, that didn't seem to want to come over, so he tried to problem solve over the phone. He seems to think it is the electronic board which will cost $250, plus $165 to repair! He also said that machines built after 1998 are built to break down after 8-12 years. So, he questioned whether or not it would be worth repairing. When I called Sears for the service, they tried to sell me a warranty for $199. Or they wanted to charge me $65 for the diagnostic for the dryer and, since the repairman would already be out here, how about a check-up for my working washer for only $39.99!!! I laughed and then sympathized with the customer service girl that Sears makes her ask that.
UTAS  
#4 Posted : Monday, November 21, 2011 5:20:13 AM(UTC)
UTAS

The issues I had with our Kenmore Elite, i.e., sporadic codes AF, oF, on, beeping at random, etc., were solved by taking the top control module housing off, removing the control circuit board from the housing, and carefully wicking WD-40 onto each of the microswitches. It seems that either moisture or static electricity cause the switch(es) to activate at random. It was driving us crazy. A very small portion of WD-40 turned the trick - no more beeping, and all the controls work as designed.

Here are the steps I followed: 1) Remove the three long screws in back that anchor the control module housing to the top of the dryer; 2) Carefully slide the control module housing slightly forward (toward the dryer door) to release the two plastic hooks on either side-bottom of the module housing - these hooks insert into the top of the dryer - just slide forward to release; 3a) Remove three short screws from the circuit board cover located inside the module housing - this is a plastic cover that goes over the circuit board in back; 3b) There are two plastic tabs on the bottom of the cover - gently pry each tab (use a small screw driver) to remove the cover; 4a) The back of the circuit board is now exposed - before doing anything else, pull the front rotary selector knob off (on the face of the module housing) - it is like a radio knob - with a slight pull it will come off; 4b) Back to the circuit board: There is a plastic tab on the back of the rotary selector - press down and rotate this rotary module counter-clockwise - this will loosen the rotary selector module from the front of the panel - careful not to disturb the wiring here, because the ribbon cable of the selector module is soldered directly onto the board - the rotary module needs to be loosened, because if not it will stop the removal of the circuit board; 5) There are three tabs at the bottom of the circuit board - a small screw driver gently inserted / prying one at time will release the bottom of the circuit board from the control module housing; 6) Gently slip the circuit board downward and away from the control module housing - there is a connector on the right of the circuit board - carefully pull this off to free the circuit board (take it easy on the circuit board - it is very delicate); 7) On the front of the circuit board are the cylindrical microswitches - one or more of these are causing the beeping. Here's how to wick WD-40 onto each switch: Get a small plastic bag (or a small container like a soda cap) - spray WD-40 into the bag so there is small amount to wet a pointed toothpick. Carefully wick each microswitch with WD-40 from the toothpick. Not too much is required, just ensure that each rim of each switch is very slightly prepared with WD-40. Use a Kleenex to dab any residue from each switch. Put everything back together by going backward from step 6.

Voila! The sporadic / random beeping and errant error codes are gone. It works like a new dryer.

Hope the above fix helps. (BTW, under the control module housing is a technician service manual / sheet, conveniently placed there at the factory - it can be used as a physical reference for the above procedure). Good luck.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply