Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
beazlp67  
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 26, 2017 9:11:14 PM(UTC)
beazlp67

Groups: Registered

I finally found the wiring schematic for the old speed queen dryer that is in the house I am renting. Only thing is I'm not really sure how to read it now that I found it.:confused: I have attached it and if anyone can help I would really appreciate it. The wiring was removed from the "relay" that is on the top of the motor without being marked. The start button has a brown and yellow wire that come down to attach. There is a black wire and a white wire that come down from the power source. There is another black wire that comes from the heating element. There are 2 blue wires that come out of the top of the motor one of the wires is red coming out of the motor and then turns blue. The relay that all these plug into is numbered 6 and 1 on the left and 5 4 2 on the right from top to bottom on each side as I look at it. Each number has 2 plugs. The dryer was blowing the circuit breaker. Tracked down everything and it was actually the circuit breaker and not the dryer. After repairing the electrical, put dryer back together and it only buzzes when the start button is pushed. I'm hoping its wired incorrectly?????? If not, from all the posts I've explored it sounds like maybe its the motor.
beazlp67 attached the following image(s):
IMG_0737.jpg
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ThatGuy  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 27, 2017 12:59:53 AM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
The "relay" you describe is probably the motor start switch. Its activated when the motor spins up to speed and switches from start to run and at the same time completes the circuit to the heating element across terminals 1 and 2.

On your wiring diagram bottom, far right is a circle. That's the motor and near the top are terminals 1 and 2.

Terminal 1 connects to the wire that goes to the heating element.

Terminal 2 connects to line 1 of the incoming 240 volts.

Terminal 4 connects to neutral, which on most dryers is also ground or the center post on the cord coming into the dryer.

Terminal 5 connects to the push to start switch. (Provides temporary power to start the motor and goes to the start winding)

Terminal 6 connects to the Timer contact (m) and the other side of the push to start switch. (its the power for the 'run' winding of the motor)

The other wires are part of the motor and don't show up on the diagram as they connect only to the motor's start switch and windings and should not be removed from the switch.(unless you mark where they go)

Does the motor start switch have any color coding on the numbers or around them? Some Whirlpool motors have color coding as well as the numbers to help with reassembly.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply