Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
pickmari  
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 9, 2017 7:57:54 AM(UTC)
pickmari

Groups: Registered

I have a Kenmore Elite Front Load Dryer that runs for approx. 10-12 minutes then shuts off and displays the following code " SRV CLL" for service call. IF you are standing in front of the dryer when it goes off, you can immediately press the start button and the unit will start right up and run again immediately - no hesitation.

I have cleared the lint trap. Cleared and inspected the vent hose as well as cleaned the dryer discharge vent. I measured the vent temperature@ discharge & it was 140 Deg. Dryer is not over heating in my opinion.

I suspected that motor might be problem due to over heating and tripping fusible link. But if this was the case the dryer would not start immediately - so it's not the motor - there is no cool down period involved.

I am now suspecting that it might be the dryer inlet thermal limiter malfunctioning. But would the thermal limiter allow the dryer to restart again right after it stops? I thought that when these things go - that's it, nothing will work until you replace it.

If any one has any experience with these Kenmore Elite dryers, please advise because at this point, I'm not sure what to do other than keep removing and replacing parts until I find the actual problem.

:) :mad:
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

PNWDrew  
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 9, 2017 8:25:15 PM(UTC)
PNWDrew

Quick guess, just based on the model is your element. However I can't find a tech sheet for this online to tell you how to enter service/diag mode. Is there a tech data sheet beneath the top panel? Usually folded up and tucked in somewhere.

Try waking it up by pressing any button or turning the knob, then push and hold "Cancel" and "Start". That is the old way to get the last stored code, not sure if it is for your dryer. If I am recalling them right. E60's codes are element related, E63 is grounded heater, E64 is open heater. E00 means no stored codes.

Your understanding of this is pretty good, but no temp safety in this dryer (nor in most dryers) that would stop the motor would then allow it to restart. The machine would recognize repeat high limit thermostat trips and stop, as well as some other things that should generate errors. If the motor itself was overheating it would trip it's internal overload but would then need to cool before restart. The inlet safety (thermal limiter) would cut the circuit to the element, and it's a fuse not self-resetting. The outlet safety limiter would also kill the motor and not reset either.

Anything in the diagram below that is a curvy symbol in the circle is a fuse. The step-like symbol is a thermostat, those do reset. If you can't read the legend on the right you can find the standardized symbols for wiring diagrams online.

I change quite a few of the elements in the Electrolux version of these, usually there is a error code it shows. It is a dual element and a bit of a pain to change. Not hard but just annoying. The Kenmore version might not give you the actual error code.

I think this is your wiring diagram. It's printed small, maybe if you right click and save the image you can blow it up on your pc.

UserPostedImage
pickmari  
#3 Posted : Friday, February 10, 2017 9:30:05 AM(UTC)
pickmari

Thank you for your Input. I followed your instructions to the letter to retrieve an error code from My Kenmore Elite dryer. The code that I retrieved was E64 Just as you suspected. I am going to go ahead and order the replacement element and do the repair / install. Thank you for all your help.
PNWDrew  
#4 Posted : Friday, February 10, 2017 9:48:41 AM(UTC)
PNWDrew

That's good. Changing the element isn't fun but it's not bad. You probably can find videos on YouTube. If not the quick description is that the front comes off, then bulkhead, then drum. Pay attention to belt routing before you remove the drum. You'll be putting it back on by feel.
Have fun!
pickmari  
#5 Posted : Friday, February 10, 2017 10:13:56 AM(UTC)
pickmari

I've been watching videos. I'm pretty sure I can get the job done, but I'm a bit annoyed that you basically have to take the whole dryer apart to do it. I will post and let you know how fun it was once I get it done. I'm ordering parts now. In your experience, since I am basically taking the dryer apart, should I go ahead and install new high limit & thermal switch at this time or just re-use the old ones?
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply