Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
NetExtra  
#1 Posted : Friday, December 2, 2016 1:54:42 PM(UTC)
NetExtra

Groups: Registered

Our Maytag dryer was squealing yesterday and after I stopped it to check it, I had to hold the start button in to get it started. It seemed like it might be binding, which makes sense from the squealing. Today it won't start up at all. It does hum when I push the Start button, but I don't want to hold it too long and burn something out. This has been an awesome dryer. I just replace parts each time something happens and it keeps on working. I am just wondering where to start.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ThatGuy  
#2 Posted : Friday, December 2, 2016 3:25:39 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
It could be your idler pulley or the rear rollers or the motor's bearings could be causing the problem.

The only way to find out is to get in there and check the parts. Don't forget the front glides. If you haven't rebuilt it for a few years it could have multiple bad parts.

Yes, these were long lasting machines. Built to last.
NetExtra  
#3 Posted : Friday, December 9, 2016 9:13:07 AM(UTC)
NetExtra

Thank you ThatGuy, I ordered parts after your Reply. When I received the parts, I replaced the rear rollers, the front pads, and the belt the night before last. They all appeared to need replacement (and after 20 years that makes sense). Anyway, the dryer started, but it was squeaking a lot. The squeaking seemed to go away and my wife ran a couple loads yesterday. Late yesterday she went to use it again and it is not working. You push the power button in and it hums like it is trying, but nothing. I can't bypass the door switch and push the drum to start by hand either. I am lost.
coalprep  
#4 Posted : Sunday, July 23, 2017 2:47:08 AM(UTC)
coalprep

NetExtra, I am having a similar problem. What fixed yours? I think mine is the motor. I think the motor was getting weaker and new rollers helped it to run for a few more times and then the motor finished dying. It just hums now.
thorning  
#5 Posted : Sunday, July 23, 2017 8:01:23 AM(UTC)
thorning

The motor is likely binding up and squeaking due to the bearings being worn out or full of dirt. It is not possible to take the motor apart to replace bearings. Check the price of a new motor and decide if you want to spend that amount of money or get a completely new dryer. I work on dryers all the time and after many years this is a common problem.
rebsimoneaux  
#6 Posted : Thursday, August 17, 2017 3:50:42 AM(UTC)
rebsimoneaux

So did yall find out if it was the motor? I'm having the same issue with an old whirpool gas dryer. Heard intermittent squealing and now it doesn't start when button is pressed. Runs for a few seconds if you hold it down and then stops and hums. I checked the rollers and pulley and they seemed to spin ok but I am going to replace them anyways. There was a ton of dust in the cabinet.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply