Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Bigcountry7  
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 19, 2016 3:12:31 PM(UTC)
Bigcountry7

Groups: Registered

I have a Maytag Atlantis electric dryer that is having trouble heating up. I checked the hi limit thermostat, cycle thermostat, the thermal fuses, the element and the temperature selection switch for continuity and all of them check out fine. (I also switched out the door switch) I then proceeded to try the dryer with the door open while holding the door switch and wouldn't you know the element grew cherry red and the dryer worked. However when I shut the dryer or even cracked it, it cools down again and blows very low heat. I would really love to hear from some people that might know what my problem is. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

brobriffin  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 21, 2016 4:09:05 AM(UTC)
brobriffin

Man
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
When you say the element was cherry red, do you mean you have the front panel off and can see the element?
The heating element should glow red when the door is open because no air is circulating over it and if left that way might burn out. It is designed to have approx 140 cubic feet of air move thru that chamber into the drum and then out the exhaust. Therefore the end of the element you can see when the door is shut won't glow as red with the incoming air flow.
One way to check it would be to get a meat thermometer, stick the probe into the exhaust hose near the dryer and check the temperature with it running and the door closed.
On the high heat setting it should cycle up to 155 - 170 degrees and down to 120 - 140 degrees then back up again.
Check out the temps and let us know the results.
Bigcountry7  
#3 Posted : Monday, November 21, 2016 4:56:52 PM(UTC)
Bigcountry7

Thanks for the reply, yes I was running it without the front plate on to see how the element was functioning. I just checked the exhaust heat and it never got over 100 degrees on High. There are no blockages in the system either I have vacuumed and cleaned everything. And as I was saying earlier the heat comes out super hot into the dryer when the door is open.
brobriffin  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 22, 2016 4:19:47 AM(UTC)
brobriffin

Man
United States

Ok if the heating element is working properly (lets say it does for the moment) and it gets very hot when the door is open, but you only get 100 exhaust:
1. Does the temperature cycle up and down or does it stay just around 100?
2. While watching the heating element with the door closed does it seem to "turn off" every few minutes or so, then turn back on in a couple minutes?
These tests will take you at least 15 minutes of running the machine at high heat.
Then run the test with the exhaust hose disconnected from the wall just blowing out into the room. Leave the Thermometer inserted and check the temps just as you did before again for about 15 minutes.
If the temp increases to 150 ish range with the hose off, a blockage somewhere in the vent system.
Otherwise let us know the results.
Bigcountry7  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, November 30, 2016 12:22:04 PM(UTC)
Bigcountry7

So as I just tried the door open and the vent hose off the results are the same as far as the temperature reading. The temp never rose above 100. It is not cycling higher than that.

I am hoping to be clear although it sometimes is hard through forum, the dryer is not drying the clothes. It is not getting hot. Is there a drum sensor that maybe has continuity but isn't functioning properly? Because when the dryer door is open it of course lets cold air in and then the dryer senses it is under temp and at that point it shoots in very hot air. There is no other point at which this dryer is shooting hot air. I am totally novice at this stuff but there is no clog, I cleaned everything underneath and within the system.

It seems to me that something is not working within the drum that senses the adequate temperature and it is telling the element to cool down. Is there such a part? and can it be malfunctioning while stile holding continuity?
brobriffin  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, November 30, 2016 1:53:21 PM(UTC)
brobriffin

Man
United States

Sorry if it didn't come across correctly.
Never test a dryer's heat with the door open. I want you to run the temp test with the door closed both with the exhaust hose connected and disconnected. Placing the temp probe just inside the exhaust port on the back of the dryer each time.
Again a dryer should not be run in heat mode with the door open. Ever!
Bigcountry7  
#7 Posted : Friday, December 2, 2016 3:45:43 PM(UTC)
Bigcountry7

Okay I did that and it stayed the same! The heat does not change there is no blockage.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply