Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rythosd  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 10, 2016 10:09:38 AM(UTC)
rythosd

Groups: Registered

Hello and thank's in advance for any help anyone can provide.

I have a Maytag MDG8000BWQ that was given to me (so not sure on the age) and it is giving us some problems. It is heating up once started and the burner stays on for a while but then it cycles off shortly there afterwards. It then fires on again for a short time and then cycles off again. This results in clothes getting only three quarters of the way dry by the time the drying cycle is done. It doesn't seem to make any difference if the timed dry feature or the inteli-dry features are used.

I'm not well versed in drier repair but I am fairly technical so I unplugged it and pulled the front panel off and started checking around with a multi-meter to see if I could narrow the problem down to a particular component. I've attached some labeled pictures and I'll attempt to give a detailed account of what I've found.

heating element - notes.jpg
1. Unsure of the component name - Pulled wires and tested for continuity and it is showing 0 Ohms (This component's label is visible in the top of the heating element.jpg picture again under number 7)

2. Flame sensor? - Pulled wires and tested for continuity and it is showing 0 Ohms

3. Igniter and burner - pulled connection and tested igniter wiring harness for continuity and it is showing 0 Ohms. When the drier is started the igniter heats up and gas is released creating the flame that is supposed to be drying my clothes This stays lit for a while then cycles on and off a few times over the next few minutes. I didn't stay to watch a full 30-60 minute cycle but it's generating flame and heating the drier at least initially

Thermal fuse.jpg
4. Unsure of component name (Thermostat?) - Pulled wires and tested for continuity and it is showing 0 Ohms

5. Thermal fuse? - Pulled wires and tested for continuity and it is showing 0 Ohms

6. Unsure of component name (High Limit thermostat? ) - Pulled wires and tested left purple and right pink post for continuity and it is showing 0 Ohms. When I pulled top white wire and bottom purple wire and tested it did not appear to have continuity. Given the four posts I was unsure if I am properly testing this component.

Top of the heating element.jpg
7. Same component as in picture 1, just allows for viewing the detail on the label of the component.

If you can provide any information (even if it's just names for particular components) it would be extremely helpful. We just had a deep freezer and an alternator on our van die along with the drier this week so if it's possible to take care of the repair myself my family could really use the cost savings right about now I should also mention that the 4" vent pipe is clear and has a straight run out through the exterior wall.

Thanks!

Matt

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.