Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages123>»
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Lery  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 5, 2016 5:16:38 PM(UTC)
Lery

Groups: Registered

Hello and thank you for your time reading this message. Here is my current situation. The check vent light came on recently, which reminded me that it was time to clean the vents. One of my steps after cleaning the vents is to check the airflow to make sure it's strong. It's very strong. However, I noticed that the air coming out of the vent did not seem very hot or warm. It was cool. What I also will note, is that the check vent light is still on, which I know it shouldn't be. When I dry a large load of towels, it takes well over an hour to dry them. I often have to run a manual cycle for about 30 minutes on high to really get them dry. I always thought perhaps the towels are just too bulky and often ignored this problem. Smaller loads I'm noticing also do not come out completely dry. I popped off the little piece on front of the dryer and noticed I do have a flame in there burning nicely. The sides of the dryer are warm to the touch. There is a little vent in the back of the dryer that also was hot to the touch. I noticed the vents do not seem very warm during the run cycle, which I recall they used to. This dryer has an option to change the sensor cycle settings to increase drying time. I bumped this up one notch to see if that would make a difference. It didn't. Finally I verified that no gas lines were "kinked" and the gas is on.

In previous years I replaced the dryer gas valve coils. I do have some repair skill, but not too much. I'm not able to test anything using any type of Ohm meter.

Any ideas or thoughts on what this problem could be?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Lery  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 7, 2016 5:40:49 AM(UTC)
Lery

I would appreciate any feedback that any of you have on this. Thank you.
brobriffin  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 7, 2016 6:31:22 AM(UTC)
brobriffin

Man
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
When you say you've cleaned your vents, where does your vent exit? On the roof or out the side wall?
brobriffin  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 7, 2016 6:36:12 AM(UTC)
brobriffin

Man
United States

What you are explaining seems to be a clog or restriction somewhere in the vent system.
Another question is when you say the air coming out of the vent was strong yet cool, where were you checking this flow at, the back of the machine or outside the house where the exhaust is located?
Lery  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, September 7, 2016 7:40:17 PM(UTC)
Lery

Thanks for the questions. The vent exits in the back of the house. The vent run from dryer to wall is too long. The basement was finished before I moved in and is just the way it is. However, it has always dried just fine without a problem as long as I do proper maintenance.

I felt the air coming out where it exits in the back of the house. In the past, when I have done this, the air has always been warm/hot. In addition, when I feel the vent ducts I can feel the air flowing through. However, in the past it was always very hot to the touch, and now the vent ducts are cool to the touch.

I would also have thought there must be some restriction or clog, but the air flow seems really good and strong. I guess I might have to set time aside to take it apart more and check closer.
brobriffin  
#6 Posted : Thursday, September 8, 2016 7:43:58 AM(UTC)
brobriffin

Man
United States

I notice you saw flames on when you popped off the front cover. Did you happen to watch this for the entire cycle or just the beginning? Some times if the coils are going bad they will open and you get flames at the very beginning of the cycle but when the cycling thermostat shuts it down they won't restart. I would suggest watching the heater for at least 10 minutes or more to see if the fire is cycling on and off properly.
Lery  
#7 Posted : Thursday, September 8, 2016 10:38:19 AM(UTC)
Lery

Ok, that is what I will do. I'm all done with laundry for a few days so I will post back here when I wash another load. However, these dryers tend to turn the flame off/on a few times I noticed. At least I think that is what they do.
brobriffin  
#8 Posted : Thursday, September 8, 2016 3:27:52 PM(UTC)
brobriffin

Man
United States

You are correct the cycling thermostat turns the flames on and off. When the exhaust temperature reaches a preset level of the cycling thermostat about 150 to 160 degrees the circuit opens and the gas valves are shut down and the fire goes out. When the exhaust temp lowers by 25 to 30 degrees the circuit closes on the thermostat and the flames reignite. So what your looking to see is do the flames cycle on and off during the "entire" drying time? Now during the last 5 minutes or so no flames will be seen (the cool down mode) the end of the cycle.
Lery  
#9 Posted : Friday, September 9, 2016 5:09:39 AM(UTC)
Lery

I was able to run the dryer and watched the fire through the peep hole. I saw it go on and off throughout the cycle without a problem. I noticed I had the check vent light on the entire time. The only thing in the dryer was a table cloth. No way the check vent light should be on for just that. I'm thinking I need to take apart the ducts and really see what is going on. How likely would the clog be in the actual dryer? Meaning, should I take off the back to see if anything is clogged in there? When I cleaned the vents the other day, I did just the flex tube from the back of the dryer and all the vent duct runs all the way to the outside. The air flow feels strong, which is what is so confusing about this.
brobriffin  
#10 Posted : Sunday, September 11, 2016 4:50:05 AM(UTC)
brobriffin

Man
United States

Ok lets take this one step at a time. Now you say the ducts do not feel warm or hot when the dryer is running like they use to but you have good air flow outside. Try this if you have a meat thermometer (if not they are cheap enough at the store) stick it into the flex hose coming out of the back of your dryer. Have the dial facing up where you can see it while your machine is running. Turn your dryer on (to high heat setting) and watch the gauge. It should register up to 150 - 160 degrees before the flame goes out. If it doesn't we are narrowing down the issue.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply