Discuss

Dryer wont start only buzzing sound for 5 seconnds

in

Dryer Repair

. "

I have a whirpool dryer, don't know model number. It was working fine all day and then when we changed

..."

Register | FAQ's | New Posts | Today's Posts | Extras
Appliance Repair Forum > Appliance Repair Help > Dryer Repair » Dryer wont start only buzzing sound for 5 seconnds

Post New Thread  Reply By reading any content on this site you agree to AppliancePartsPros.com, Inc. disclaimer and Terms of Use.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2009, 02:44 PM

Kopchak1 is on a distinguished road
Default Dryer wont start only buzzing sound for 5 seconnds
Brand: Whirlpool   Age: 1 - 5 years   

Appliance Parts from AppliancePartPros.com

I have a whirpool dryer, don't know model number. It was working fine all day and then when we changed loads it would not turn on. When I push the start button all I hear is a buzzing sound for about 5 seconds then it clicks off. There is also a bad smell like something burning coming from the back. I have looked up on the internet and sounds like a thermal fuse or heat element issue how do I fix it? Where can I find the model number also.

See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Old 11-02-2009, 01:36 AM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

denman is a name known to all

Sounds like the motor is not starting, it buzzes then overheats and it's internal thermal protect trips.

Try turning the drum by hand, it should turn fairly easily. It may be jammed, stalling the motor.
If OK
This may take two people
Open the door and hold the door switch closed.
Push the push-to-start switch.
Manually turn the drum in the correct direction.
Watch your knuckles.
If it starts up your motor probably needs replacing.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:37 PM

AntonB is on a distinguished road

I'm having the same problem, and turning the drum by hand gets the motor going again...but I put in a new motor about 4 months ago, and it was running great until yesterday. So something seems to be causing the motor to go bad. Any idea as to why that could happen?
Old 05-05-2011, 02:38 AM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

denman is a name known to all

Could be a number of things.

1. Try turning the drum in the correct direction by hand. It should turn fairly easily. You may want to try this on a couple other units to get a feel for it.
This should check whether there is too much drag on the drum which is overloading the motor.

2. Check your power.
Check the voltage at the plug
L1 to L2 should be 240 volts
L1 to Neutral and L2 to Neutral, both should be 120 volts.
If OK
Unplug the unit and check the wires at the terminal strip in the machine to make sure none are loose or burned out
If OK
Check the power at the terminal strip.
Be careful as 240 volts is lethal !!!
Low power on the motor side (usually L1 to Neutral) can cause motor overheating and eventual failure.

3. When the drum is not turning do you have heat?
Do not let it run too long like this as you could blow a thermal fuse.
If there is heat I would check the centrifugal switch mechanism on the motor.
Could be it is clogged with lint or for some reason it is not returning to the at rest position.
The motor has 2 centrifugal switches. They close when the motor gets close to operating speed so if you have heat it means that the heater centrifugal switch is closed when the motor is not rotating. This is important because the other switch switches in/out the motor's start winding so perhaps the motor is trying to start without the start winding in circuit.

4. Check the wiring to the motor.

5. Could be just a defective motor.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:20 PM

Castrol is on a distinguished road
Default whrirpool dryer- Gas model LGT7646EQ2

Dyer will start easily when cold and will run and with heat on for 10 to 15 minutes, then it will stop. After 10 to 15 minutes, you will hear a buzzing sound like trying to start again; sometimes it will turn and run
again but most of the time it won't.
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.