Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dragoscscc  
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 16, 2016 10:11:15 AM(UTC)
dragoscscc

Groups: Registered

Need some help with this. Maytag DG303 series 05 gas dryer.

Basically the Hi Limit switch keeps overheating, cycling the burner on and off. Cuts out at about 220-240 and back on around 180 F or so. So the switch is working as it should (new Hi Limit switch BTW). More interested in reasons why it would overheat. ALL OF THE VENTS are clear, both internal and external. At the base of the burner (right where it attaches to the gas valve) there is a air valve that can be opened and closed. Tried closed, mid (factory) and full open, no luck. Any other adjustments to keep this from overheating?

This happened at first with a load of laundry after doing some repairs (see below). Afterwards I've been running it empty for troubleshooting.

Also checked the gas valve coils. The 2 pin coil reads about 1350 ohms, the 3 pin coil reads 1350 at 1 and 2 and about 550 ohms at pins 1 and 3. Though the coils might be going bad, not allowing the gas valve to open completely causing an distorted flame pattern kicking the hi limit thermostat on.

WTF, I'm ready to toss this thing out to the trash. Anybody have any other ideas???

The long story,

Original problem was with the fan wheel being loud. Took everything apart, changed the wheel, replaced the drum felt seals and front bottom supports, new drum belt. All of the vents were cleaned while in there, even the one being the aft drum wall that feeds air from the burner. Well it's a lot quieter now, but I'm having a different problem.

The timer motor won't work. Powered to the timer, it works. Checked rotary switch contacts, good. Checked cycling thermostat, good. Checked hi limit thermostat, good. All wiring and connections between cycling, hi limit, rotary switch were checked with a multi meter.

The timer is supposed to be powered from the rotary switch during the end of the regular and press cycles. At the beginning of the regular and press cycles the timer will only be powered by the cycling thermostat. This thermostat was checked and it is cycling as it should. The problem is that the hi limit thermostat cuts out the burner power before the cycling thermostat has a chance to cycle the burner on and off.

Replaced the hi limit thermostat and now having the same problem. I guess the old one was good, but I did not have a thermometer to check it's opening/closing points.
dragoscscc attached the following image(s):
CLOSED.JPG
CLOSED1.JPG
CLOSED2.JPG
MID.JPG
MID1.JPG
MID2.JPG
OPEN.JPG
OPEN1.JPG
OPEN2.JPG
IMG_1436.JPG
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.